HybridZ

fuel tank sump

bumble zee

I have just converted my 73 240 to turbo. I was swapping the tank out to learn that teh extra tank i have is for a zx. that put me out $100. so i was wanting to use the stock 240 tank. But i saw somewhere on here before that someone put a sump on the bottom of the tank. i was just wondering how it was working?? and is it pretty easy to do?

Guest Anonymous

Just a suggestion if you go this route, run the fuel lines over the tank. They will be up and out of the way incase you hit some debris in the road. :wink:

did you have to modify the sump at all?? or just weld it in? I found it in my summit magazine.. $62 bux isnt bad. I think im going to do that.. i need it any way.

You just have to bend the thin end down a bit, to fit the tank. Then weld it on. It gives directions on what holes you have to drill in the tank.

Jegs.com sells them for $52.99

Here are some tips on the install

1. Remove tank from car.

2. Remove fuel level sending unit from tank.

3. Wash tank with a pressure washer, or have steam cleaned.

4. Sand blast or grid bottom of tank to make it easer to weld.

5. Position sump on tank with the fuel fittings facing the rear of the car.

6. Trace around the outside of the sump with a marker.

7. Remove sump and with a 1.5†or smaller hole saw drill a pattern in the bottom of the tank, being careful not to make a hole over the traced line.

8. Clean out metal chips in tank.

9. Position and weld sump in place. When welding, the tank might pull away from the sump, so if you can get some thing in from the sender/filler hole to push back on the tank this will help reduce gaps left to fill.

10. Check for leaks.

11. Paint tank with good quality paint like POR15. (This will also help seal up pin holes in the weld)

yeah, I have been giving it some thought. I am considering running the fuel lines in a manner that would allow me to have a FPG in the cockpit. I am not real keen on fuel lines in the cockpit tho. Anyone know if there is an electronic gague that would allow me to run the lines underneath the car, with a feed back into the cabin? Also, I think I will need to replace my fuel pump soon, and definitely need to change out the power and ground lines. As I am currently running a TPI, and hope to switch to LT1 this winter.... any recommendations on fuel pumps, and pressure ranges? Ill do a search, dont want to hijack this thread... = ) I still want to know about the sump the Hybrid member makes = )

tannji

Yeah, that would work.... I would really like a smaller electronic version of that tho... perhaps I will pay a visit to Grainger and see what I come up with. Ok. I am embarrassed to admit I havent looked, and dont remember, but is there a tool box type of cavity on the 240Z's? Right behind the seats, like the 280Z's had, and the ZX's. I had a wild thot.... what about using that cavity for a surge tank, with built-in baffling, Or perhaps an air purging system.... something that keeps it full of fuel, adding to your overall capacity, and making the baffles un-necessary. Perhaps a single tube baffle in the center, top mounted, with a float in it to control the air purge? What would this do to weight balance, and what are the safety concerns, should this secondary tank be a fuel cell? I suppose this tank wouldnt have to be large at all.... But having just done a 2000 mile trip in my Z, even with 26mpg, I would have liked a larger tank, especially since the fuel gague is not accurate, lol.

tannji