HybridZ

Price?

Guest H-TownSupraRacer

Guest H-TownSupraRacer

I am planning to buy a 280ZX and I want to put a Chevy 350small block with a t350 manual tranny. I looked all over the internet to find prices without any luck and i figured who knows this stuff better then you guys. What I want to know is how much will it cost be to buy every little thing like engine mounts,brackets,a/c compressor,etc. I can install the engine myself but the wiring might be a problem so does anyone has an idea how much it would cost for someone to do that for me? And what would be a better engine to go with a fuel injected engineor a carborator. O and if you can name the prices part by part.

Welcome to the board. Try a search on this and you'll find alot. It's been asked several times recently. The general consensus seems to be about 3G's for the swap not counting the car. That's the baseline. It has been done for less but they had pretty much everything they needed and did the work themselves. It has also been done for MUCH more. Buy a JTR manual.

Carb is less complicated and cheaper. Fi makes the driveability generally better. Price is an open ended question. You will need to be very specific with the intent and extent of the conversion. If you have the car already and it's in no need of major work (body/electrical/interior/brakes), then you are looking at anything from $3500 (if you bargain hunt very judiciously), to $10,000 plus.

You need to make a very specific plan, as these projects can (and generally will) snowball out of control.

And------USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. This topic has come up several times before!

Tim

We've all been noobs before. Until you get your HybridZ on the road you'll still be a noob - right Tim?[/u'] :wink:

LOL :lol:

Now as far as what is the easiest for a 280ZX 350 swap? I think you should got the EFI route and go with either the LT1 or the LS1. The LT1 will be cheaper but the LS1 has the "wow factor". If I had done more research I would have gone with the LS1 instead of the LT1 for my 280ZX. Dont get me wrong the LT1 is awsome but the LS1 just has that "ooo ahhhhhh" about it! Yes both of these engines are kind of pricey but they will be the easest to swap in the 280ZX. The LS1 mounts a little differnt but for and engine swap that is the least of your problems! The LT1 is still mounted like the old 350's so that isnt a problem. Do a search on my user name and you will see what I mean, or just go to my site(http://www.datsun-280zx-lt1.com)

Guy

Guest BigWhyteDude

i guess im in almost the same boat(well close to it anyway) as you H-TownSupraRacer. Im not a noob to automechanics a novice at best though but i do have a plan. The best thing you can do right now is read. Read any post that pertains to the SBC swap and anything else you want to do. Ask yourself What engine should i use? How fast do i want it to be? Do i want to race it oruse it as a daily driver or both? If you spend almost every waking hour like i do on this forum and many others here as well you will learn what you need to know. Good luck to you man glad you could join the great plethora of information.