HybridZ

Got my 3" turbo exhaust made!

Guest szlash280z

Guest szlash280z

I am happy with it, but I do notice that it boosts just slightly slower now. It was finished at rush hour time here, so I haven't really been able to test it. Drivability has improved since I can't hear the popping exhaust as much, so I don't mind coasting in gear anymore. thats a Plus. I got a MagnaFlow 3" offset inlet and center outlet aluminized muffler. It is a straight thru type, but not exactly straight thru, there are no chambers though. since it is offset inlet and center out, the inside bends a little bit, but I could still see all the way thru it. It has a deep tone and doesn't sound like a bumble bee (I don't think it does anyway), I really like the way it sounds. It's not near as raw as it was with no exhaust. unfortunately I can't really hear the turbine spinning now :cry:

I was told that they could make my downpipe, no problem. But of course they change their minds when they look at it again... "thats cast Iron, we can't weld that" then why did you tell me you could? :?: jerks! I left the shop with an overall bad feeling, the boss there was an A-hole and a liar. I am going to get my flange made later and get my good downpipe made to connect to the pipe they just ran. I hope this pipe didn't just slow my car down!

Guest szlash280z

I posted it here first, but thought I would get yelled at since it was an exhaust item, so I posted it there. trying not to get yelled at, but I guess it didn't work. my bad dude!

sz - Looks nice. Getting ready to do mine. Just received 2-4 foot length's of 3" pipe from summit today. Sorry i'm continuing a post that may not be in the right forum according to rules but, i'm glad you did post it here because i rarely look at the other topics and would have missed this one. Nice information to know about slowing and quieting down the spool. Strange why they said the couldn't weld with the cast. I welded my SS downpipe to the cast flange i cut off of the stock DP, and i dont really weld. haha. O'well. Looks great and congrats. If you get any sound clips of the Magnaflow with the 3", send 'em if you would. Appreciate it.

Guest szlash280z

I love the sound. its deep at idle, not too loud at higher RPM but you can still hear it. I had to get used to all the noise without the muffler, now I gotta get used to the sound with a muffler again!

And the kicker, there is no buzzy bee sound that I can hear, so I don't think it sounds like a ricer! I would have been so upset if I sounded like a Honda or something!

I will look into getting a sound clip, but it's not likely due to lack of equipment.

Are you MIG welding? I want to learn to weld so bad! (I may use my GI Bill for it!) please let me know what kind of setup you are using!?

Guest bastaad525

If I remember, you were just running the open DP before right? at first it didn't make sense that your turbo would spool slower by going to a 3" exhaust but then I remembered that it was just open before... I drove mine for a while with just the open DP and yeah I definately noticed slower response when I put the exhaust on there... it definately opens your eyes to just how much difference a good 3" mandrel can give over say my crappy crush bent 2.5" that I had to settle for, and just really how much difference exhaust restriction can make in general. As far as sound, I have yet to hear a crappy sounding exhaust note come from a Z... I just put a glasspack on mine and I love the sound, very muscle sounding at idle, but at high rpms I guess it leaves something to be desired... just sounds like rushing air, no real tone to it, but it's not bad or anything just not the sound I'd like to let people know, this is a serious car :)

I was told that they could make my downpipe' date=' no problem. But of course they change their minds when they look at it again... "thats cast Iron, we can't weld that" then why did you tell me you could? :?: jerks! [/quote']

It's not cast iron, it's cast steel. You can weld it and the exhaust manifold and turbo. They are use to the US crap and think everything else is the same.

Guest szlash280z

I was told that they could make my downpipe' date=' no problem. But of course they change their minds when they look at it again... "thats cast Iron, we can't weld that" then why did you tell me you could? :?: jerks! [/quote']

It's not cast iron, it's cast steel. You can weld it and the exhaust manifold and turbo. They are use to the US crap and think everything else is the same.

Cast steel huh? those *&^$! Is there a test I can do to show them that it is steel?

I had my friend TIG weld my EGR tube up with a stainless steel rod, I can't remember if he said the rest was steel too or not... What is the turbine housing made out of?

I know there are tests you can do with a grinding stone, I don't know what color the sparks should be though. I have welded flanges to the stock Z manifold over 5 years ago and they are still on there. I also did a Toyota manifold. I mig'd mine but have arc welded cast steel just as much. They'll know when they weld it. It doesn't weld as clean as mild steel but If they've ever tried to weld iron they'll know it is cast steel.