HybridZ

383 240z Featured in Sport Compact Car

Guest thinkmonkey

Guest thinkmonkey

Check out page 72-76, it mentions JTR and hybridz.org

Sport Compact Car is in my opinion the very best car magazine published today. 1/3 of the magazine they do have to give in to ricers (notice the racer mentality section by Christian rado, and honda crap) but the other 2/3's is full of handling and power information. They are funny as hell, witty, and very knowledgable about REAL performance. This from a guy who also subscribes to chevy high performance...

-David

I saw the article briefly this afternoon at Walgreens, looks like a nice clean car, only ran 12.5's in the 1/4 if I recall correctly. I think it just mentioned HybridZ by saying the guy got his R200 from here, but I think they had it as hybridz.com, so that probably why we haven't experienced a sudden influx of ton of Sport Compact Car people.

I have been showing that to my friends at work.

but I still have $1000.00 worth of suspension parts to buy, before I consider that,(and the stock L-26 is running VERY well right now) :-D

That's awesome...except for the part where that was one of MY ideas for when I put my z together ....kinda held up on it right now because I'm currently on deployment! Oh well, I'm gonna have to see this thing, hope we hit a port that carries Sport Compact in time. (My dumb butt forgot to subscribe 7 months ago when deployment started, so I'm outta luck with reading with what I agree is the best-written car magazine ever, compact or not!) I always built V-8 cars before, but I read SCC since it came out in the 80's and it has without a doubt been, and still is, the best car magazine on the planet. Thier tech articles and swap articles are second to none, you could do an engine swap using that magazine as the sole reference, it's that good (My next project...outside of my '68 caddy, after the Z is done, is definitely gonna be a Sylvia hybrid...It's gotta be (other than the killer speed-dollar ratio of the V-8 Z of course) the best bang for the buck ever! Get a ratty S13 240sx for a song, since they're newer rust isn't a prob yet, literally BOLT IN an SR20DET, put a bigger turbo on it, with an R34 intercooler, go run high 12's. SWEET! SCC built thiers initially for less than 3K, and the stock motor and turbo were good for about 200whp! That's some serious performance per buck no matter what brand you're loyal to.

if i ever do a 240sx again ill do a CA swap, or a KA turbo, or a FJ... yummy.. SR20's are cool but the CA is a better design and the KA can make more power with the right mods.

mike

I just read the article and was interested about something said on pg. 76. He slotted the rear control arm hangers, (it still has stock rubber bushings below) for toe adjustment. I haven't seen that before. I guess that would not work with the stiffer bushings I have unfortunately.

I just picked up the mag from the local 7-11. First time I've ever bought an 'Import Tuner' magazine.

I crawled into my dark trench coat, pulled the collar up around my neck, put on very dark glasses (which made finding the magazine very difficult :D ), slithered quietly into the store, grabbed the magazine off the rack (recon. mission the day before...that way I knew exactly where in the rack it was and I wouldn't have to stand there long), paid with exact change in unmarked bills and new coins, and slid out the door before anyone knew what had happened.

The magazine is still in it's protective plastic cover, though! I've been driving around randomly to ensure that I'm not being followed by any investigative reporters....wouldn't want this 'purchase' of ricey goods to get out there!

Romeo--India--Charlie--Echo----Sierra--Unicorn--XRay!!

:D:D:D:D

Tim

By the way...just read the article and the Z belongs to one of our long time members...Rick Johnson. His car is the absolute nicest and cleanest and most professional looking conversion I've seen in person. Hopefully he will be at the BBQ in November again.

Tim

Guest bastaad525

ROFLMAO Tim!!!!! Come on it's not THAT bad!!! Did anyone see the issue where the editor went on a rant about all the things he liked about old cars (basically he listed all the things that old cars DIDN"T have that new cars do have, and listed them as his reasons why he likes old cars better) and then capped off the rant with saying how Nissan loaned him a restored 240z and how it fit his list of all the things he likes about old cars perfectly? Lately SCC has been sneaking more and more early Z's into it's pages... and they also LOVE 510's... I like that because a lot of ricers who dont know their history buy that magazine and see those articles and then they actually KNOW what a 240z IS!! Even when they cover Honduh's... it's usually the ones that are actually FAST instead of the all-show-no-go rice mobiles. Hey I got nothing for respect for a honda that's actually fast and doesn't scream 'LOOK AT ME!'. Sh*t I even have respect for the Hyundai that's in the same issue as that 383 z... a hyundai with a 2g eclipse engine that runs 13's (I think it was 13's) that's just classic. About the only rice they really show is in the 'Readers Rides' section and I bet they only show them because that's all that any of their readers send in. I bet if all of us Hybrid Z members sent in pics/info on our Z's they'd print more than a few of them in that section. You guys with the nice looking Z's should band together and flood them... I'd submit mine but it's not even worth taking pics of at the moment.

I think it's obvious to US that a Z-car isn't a sport-compact, but I think it's nice to see some recognition that the Z car is still out there and ALIVE. there's more to sports cars than Mustangs, Firebirds, Corvettes, Lexuses and Hondas, etc. To many "imports" to mention here. Though I'm basically a Ford fan, but i think the Z is 'special' enough that you could throw it in with MGs, Jags, and the like- especially because of it's "age." Older import cars don't have the same 'cheapness' that the new ones do- probably because they contributed less to the trade deficit as imports seem to do now.

Of course, if my "trusty L28" engine decides it needs to be (recycled), I'll be installing a BOSS 302 in there- probably got 1 or 2 in the basement somewhere, left over from high school days. <G>

Anybody remember the Honda CVCC? Now THERE'S a compact car.

Guest bastaad525

hmmm I dunno to me the Z is a sports car, and it's definately compact... it's a classic... and it's somewhat of a muscle car (okay by japanese standards it is) I dunno... it's the best of all worlds :)

Ya... Kudos to Rick...

I heard about that issue and then i rushed to the stands to grab one...

Then I found the article and then I was like... dude!! that is Rick's Car!!!

Sweet!!!

Yeah..... that was my claim to fame among my "rice lover" friends

:2thumbs: Way to go Rick!!! :2thumbs:

I've read SCC a few times in the past - mostly for mod info on my Eclipse GSX. I agree that I saw some good tech there. The Bling on the cover and sprinkled throughout is what turned me off. But I can get over that.

I need to go get a copy of the one with Rick's car in it. Maybe even subscribe.

Congrats again, Rick! Beautiful car and a beautiful piece of engineering!

I especially appreciate the time it took to modify and tune that Holley. Using an WBO2 to get the data and then learning the carb enough to get an EFI like tune on it is commendable. I doubt many have done that!

Guest Rick Johnson

Thanks for the kudos guys. I really did work hard on this car. SCC had a photographer out at Irwindale this spring and he approached me after I made another of my silent runs (two mufflers in series) and he asked to shoot a few pictures to show his boss - and the rest is history

I few notes from previous posts:

-I have never raced the 1/4 but in the 1/8 it did a 7.65 with my Proxes RA1 tires and a 7.474 @ 92.76 MPH with my DOT slicks. I think it was Pete that said it should run a 11.76 in the 1/4.

-Slotting the rear member which locates the most rearward control arm bushings will allow toe adjustment regardless of what bushings are used. The only draw back is that as the member is moved right or left, both tires will turn left or right together. It turned out that both of my wheels pointed slightly to the right so after slotting the member, they both pointed almost dead straight. (Buy the way, I kept the rubber bushings because they have a large influence on ride comfort over sharp edged bumps.

-I have a back door from my Suspension Web Site to my car section which has a few pictures of my car. It is not near as nice as some of the other sites but check it out anyway.

http://tootechracing.com/Car%20Section%20Index.htm

If you click on "Performance Data", you can look at the Air Fuel Ratio data log from the 1/8 mile run that got me ejected from Irwindale. (For the record - getting it to run a consistent Air Fuel ratio at WOT is not too tough, but getting a Holley to hold 14 / 1 at varied moderate throttle openings is quite the challenge.)

-I will scan in the Sport Compact Car article real soon if you want to save your money.