HybridZ

280ZX CLUNK!!!

Something is definitely loose in the rear of my '83ZX. If I ease off on the throttle and then floor it in a lower gear I get a temendous CLUNK!! On my '77 280Z it was the differential mount. Ame problem with the ZX?? I've gotten under the car and can't see anything obviously wrong.

I had one of those clunks on my '73. I checked all the bolts on the suspension and they were tight. Finally, with the car in gear while looking underneath it from the rear, I rocked it back and forth. It was immediately obvious that the diff was moving and although the 2 bolts holding it to the mustache bar were tight, they just weren't tight enough.

I've got the same proublem with mine. I replaced the rear diff bushing and it helped but, didn't solve it. For the most part the noise just went away for awhile but, is now back since I replaced the rear end with an LSD unit. I'm begining to think mine may be a worn out CV on the outer side of the passnger side axle. I checked at work on a replcement but, the guy that rebuilds them said he had no idea when he would be able to send one so I cancelled my order. I checked with a local drivetrain shop and they quoted my about 70 dollars if they could get everything.

• 1 month later...

if you get your u-joints replaced make sure you get good ones. On my dads car he has to replace the u-joints on the car twice because they put in REALLLY cheap ones. when we jacked up the car the u-joint had about 1/2 in. movement. the car would make these horrible clunking and it also sounded like something cracking when he would go after a light, especially on a hill.