HybridZ

Time for a V8

Guest Hudson's Hawk

Guest Hudson's Hawk

Hey guys,

It's Hudson Hawk. Looking to do a V8 on the "Purple People" Eater in the next year. Gathering all my info from JTR, Engine Performance, Dando's, Roebello's Racing etc...Got to make the right decision to add to the work of art know as the Tomahawk. I'm leaning towards a Ford Cleveland or Windsor 1st then, Chevy Corvette or Mustang engine....I know that there are more Chevy Conversions then Ford, but, the Ford Engine allows you to move it closer to the fire wall. Chevy's you have to loose that extra space and deal with the hood latch..I'm just getting into the research but, I'm curious to know if anyone with a Ford & Chevy converted Z race each other.....Who won?...LOL Apples to Apples...

Any responses will be appreciated..

ThanksDCP_0251rw1.jpg

Your Z is so modern looking, i think the late Ford 4.6l would look fantastic in your engine bay! Its OHC, each cam with a timing chain. The spark plugs and injectors both go in from the top of the engine. I saw a cutaway at Route 66 Rendezvous 4 day car show in San Bernardino last weekend. Im not a v8 fan, but this engine is a fabulous peice of work! Its just simple! You must be interested in looks, considering the condition of your Z. Ever since i saw the cutaway of the 4.6 at the car show, ive been DYING to see one in a Z! This coming from a guy who prefers Chevy over Ford!

Ford Mustang GT 4.6 Liter

"Modular" single overhead cam engine

engine.jpgV832Valve.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette 5.7 Liter

ls1.jpg

Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 4.6 Liter

"Modular" dual overhead cam engine

cobra.jpg

Guest Hudson's Hawk

I looked at your information...I like your thinking...I will keep copies of these pictures and see what I can find as far as similar engines in my area. I like the first one. That's a Ford GT 4.6 and the Corvette Engine looks good too. I know the performance will be there. Are these pictures of engines you know that are available for sale? The decesion is going to be a tough one but, once I get more $$$ figures, parts etc...Then I'll be able to make it. I do want to stay within a $4000-$6000 price range...The wife will kill my gizzile fizzle hukizzle...If you know what I mean.. :oops: Keep in touch if you have any other good ideas or come across an engine for sale...

Oh...T5 Trans or something else.

VH

If you are ruling out the Chevy V8 because of hood latch clearance and setback, then keep the LT1/LT4 in mind. No rear mounted dissy. Maybe take Mr. Juday up on his offer as he just did the LT1 conversion in a TH.

The LS1 is also nice, but a little more fabbing involved, about as much as if you went with a Ford V8.

Tim

T5 Trans can only handle so much power. Once your over 350ft/lb you are pushing it. The T3550 can handle 425ft/lb TKO version: 525ft/lbs.

The T56 out of a 1993+ camaro can be adapted and can handle quite a bit of power. I am using the T5 and its a great tranny for street use and even though it only handle so much power its fine for me.

Here is a link about Trannys for Fords if you go that route. http://66.96.130.106/archives/2002/09/transmissions/index.shtml

I hope you do because there are lots of Chevy V8Z's and only a handful Fords. There is more fabrication if you go the Ford route but your car becomes a lot for unique and sometimes that makes it worth it. Also if you have more experience and knowledge about a certain engine it can make the swap a lot easier. Either way good luck with the swap. It would be cool to see a Supercharged 351W!

Guest Hudson's Hawk

Hey Juday, Thanks for the input...Hey Dan. I sent you an e-mail. Love to hear the about your work with Steve's car..I saw your pic's and yours is coming out great..I'm jealous...LOL..haha....I can't wait until we all can get together and go for a drive...Now that I'm year round capable...Yippee..I'm picking everyone's brain that's willing to offer help...I'm looking for power, dependability, simple conversion with not too much headache..Is that possible...??? or, am I asking "The Motor God's " for too much...

David, thanks again for the help...Keep those eyes open for me if a good engine comes up...I've put mine on the market to be sold with trans...

$4300 O.B. O. It's still new less then 10k miles on both. Will take pictures and post in the Buy/Sell section.

Tim...The LT1 or 4 I've seen in 2 or 3 Z's. Of the two engines, is there much difference in HP or Torque? I'm a novice when it comes to knowing all the terms and tech stuff, but, I'm learning.

One Tomahawk owned by a cool guy by the name of John Priztos. His has the LT 1 corvette engine. He's a car nut too. I took his for a drive one day and man...talk about getting you head snap back. I almost pee'd in my pants, scared me straight...LOL. That was about 4 years ago, so I know what I missed. I'm trying to get a z event together like Texas Club Z has once a year a Dyno Day. Come and run your car like crazy on the machine and see what you're really putting out. Anyone have any idea's..

Hey Patheon...Great link..I'll read it tomorrow..Been down loading several sites and saving them into a file...By next Rio Vista Event I should know what the world I'm doing...LOL..Where can I find out about a supercharged 351W...I've been looking at a few sites that have 302 & 351 engines but, didn't see a super charged one? I've been looking at he computer so long I'm going blind.

Thanks.

WHP-Good link...Car Craft...I'm getting absorbed..