HybridZ

*Beginner Question* Friend with 20 G's

Guest Qesus Qhrist

Guest Qesus Qhrist

Heya fellas, I've been a Z-Car and 510 fanatic for years, but this is my first post. Anyway, I need some advice and figured the Chevy V8 forum would be the best place to ask. My rich bastard friend just got $20,000 from his parents and wants to buy a 240z, 260z, 280z, or 280zx, then slap in some form or another of large displacement engine, and round it off with suspension work, body work, new tires, etc...

Basically, I'm asking if you guys can tell me what you suggest getting with the money.

Thanks for your time.

Guest Hudson's Hawk

Hey, ask him to share the wealth and we'll all chip in to help...LOL...Seriously though, Get your books. JTR's, John's Cars, MSA catolog, write down exactly will he use the car for, dailey driver, weekend warrior, racing (street or strip), blowing away folks that want to mess with you at a red light...LOL haha...Z My Zmoke...Hey, that would make a great license plate...No one take it. It's mine. There are some sharp guys here. Always look in the Forum tab, go to Chevy or Ford and also Engines...You'll get alot of help..

Z ya....

Hudson's Hawk

Guest Qesus Qhrist

He's gonna use it as a daily driver, but our plan is to build the fastest car at a very large community college we both attend called De Anza. There's upwards of 30,000 people going there, and plenty of fast cars, but we decided we would build him a car that, on a track, can outperform any of them. We both hate pure drag cars, but light to light is probably the only kind of racing we would do anyway.

So daily driver with extreme performance, preferably a sub 12 second 1/4 mile time.

Guest Hudson's Hawk

Hey QQ, Well, you two will want to do it right. You need to make a plan. All mechanicals come first, wiring, parts to replace, where to get your best supplier in the area. I'm over in Fremont, CA. Use to live in Silicon Valley. If you attended the Z Fest at Ohlone college Aug 2nd, you would have seen some serious Z's. And if you really want to get some ideas MSA In April. Websites to hit: http://www.zcars.com, http://www.zcarparts.com and http://www.zparts.com. Just to get you going in the right direction .Did that confused you. I also came across a Z speed shop. Can't find the business card, but when I do, I'll send it to you.

Documentation is the second most important thing to do. Write down everything and anything...It will come in handy before, during and after..

HH

Guest Phil1934

That $20 G wasn't also meant to cover college costs, was it? For a student, buy a running early V8 Z. There's always more to do later that boil down to weekend upgrades, better brakes, flares and tires, rollbar, R200, CV upgrade, new weatherstripping, etc. The only upside to doing the swap yourself is saying you did it, but it's not one of those things with a good monetary return. Buy as good a car as you can and if you want a stick, wait for it. Don't grab an auto because it was available. Like any project car if it doesn't light your fire, you are not going to pursue it with much enthusiasm. I finished college so broke I traded my '68 Bel Air for a Vega, and your first few cars are usually not keepers anyways.

Guest Qesus Qhrist

Heh no the 20 Gs aren't for college, this dude is loaded. His grandpa owned the company that built most of the Golden Gate Bridge and supplied all of the iron (seriously) and once that guy croaks he'll probably forget about this and buy himself a Viper or something.

Thanks for the links Hudson.

well its always easier to start off witha stick car if your going with a stick later on.

i say either a SR20DET in a 240Z or whatever.

or a turbo charged 302... yummy.

mike

I like Phil's advice. You can find a V8z on eBay for 5 grand or less. This leaves you 15 grand to do whatever mods from there you need. You could pull the engine and build it for max. hp and still have $$ left over for brakes, suspension upgrades, flares, wheels and tires.

There are occasionally some on eBay that have most of this finished for dirt cheap. It will save you thousands and months. Trust me.

My 2c:

I would be skeptical about buying a V8z and then upgrading it. Unless you know who and where it came from, I never trust anyone elses work. That's just the way I am. Not saying that everything I do is the best, but at least I know how it was done.

If it was my $20Grand, I would find the absolute nicest Z I could, regardless of the drivetrain. Then drop in the motor and trans of your choosing. That way all you will to concentrate on is the drivetrain, and not bodywork, rust, interior etc.

For arguments sake:

Also, I guess the big question is....will he be doing the work himself, or having a shop do it? If a shop does it, then it will cost significantly more.

car: $8000.00 (for a near perfect car)

Crate motor (~350-400hp): $5000

Trans (auto): $1000

Driveshaft, mount kit radiator and other ancillary crap: $1500.00

New wheels and tires: $1000.00

Now you have a pretty, solid, very fast car for <$17k and have $$ left over for other stuff like stereo, nice steering wheel, or whatever else...

Tim

Guest 1975yellowBSPZ

I'm with gramercyjam on the correct use of 30k for a loaded kid wth minimal repsonsibities. I am neither loaded nor a kid, but I can count you in as crew when that big windfall hits and I go to pick up my swan 68 off the isle of wight, right gramercyjam...

:wink:

(the z's will be in the garages when we get back)

BW