HybridZ

Drivetrain backlash with Nissan T-5

jgkurz

Hi all, I just finished a complete drivetrain overhaul in my 77z and I'm a little disappointed with the results.

First some history. I pulled the Nissan 5spd and original R200 and added a rebuilt T-5 and a low mile 3.7 R200 LSD. The clutch is a Spec 6 puck with a 240MM aluminum flywheel. Both half-shafts are solid and the driveline brand new. The mustache bar and sway bar have urethane bushings. I also have a rubber bumper mod done to my diff strap to prevent pinion rise.

Here's my problem. The car has an ANNOYING clunk/clank in the drivetrain. I've had six other Z's and none have been this bad. I have checked all the usual problem spots and everything looks and feels good. The problem occurs when I shift gears normally and also when I'm just cruising down the freeway. When I did have the Nissan transmission in the car for a short time with the LSD the clunking didn't seem as bad. When I'm coasting or slowly driving downhill the problem is lessened.

At this point all I can guess is that the T-5 has more backlash in the transmission than the Nissan unit. It's bad enough that I will avoid giving people a ride just so I wouldn't have to be asked "what's that noise" or "is it safe to drive". I've spent a small fortune on my Z so if the car isn't enjoyable to drive I have a serious problem. Needless to say I'm extremely frustrated. :fmad:

I would appreciate any feedback or opinions.

Thanks

It sounds like the typical Z rear end clunk...

Check the diff mount and those rear bolts on the mustache bar again. When you installed the new diff, did you install a new diff mount as well? I know there are varied opinions on the solid diff mount, but I installed solid diff mounts in both my cars and stand by them. Also check the mustache bar bushings as well. That bar has been known to give an occasional clunk...