HybridZ

T3/T4 Install Gone Bad.

Jersey

Buttoned it all up tonight - took two nights for the swap from the T3 to a hybrid. Never even got it out of the garage. Started it up and she idled perfect - better than it ever did with the T3. Let it idle for about 15 minutes to make sure the center section was getting lubricated nicely. Brought the r's up a little, say to 2k, and held it there for about 10 seconds and all of the sudden heard this weird seizing kind of noise..shhhooooP. Shut it down immediatly, pulled the AFM to T4 boot off to find the compressor wheel completely siezed up. Unreal. Feel bad for my cousin since this was his '83ZXT. Damn.

50trim in a T04B housing, .63 Stage III clipped, oil&water cooled, bullet nose, ported WG hole a bit bigger using a Volvo flapper. Nothing got sucked in. Compresser wheel/fins are clean. My gut tells me tolerences weren't correct...possibly when they machined out the T04B housing to accept the E wheel. Who knows. This is exactly the reason i mentioned in an earlier post about buying a turbo off of someone you really don't know..like off of ebay or something. Nice to save a couple of hundered that way but would suck if something went wrong, exactly like what just happened to me. I'm sure Kenny from Majestic will back up his product. Yep, it definetly sucks but hey, what can ya do. Rip it out and put a new one in i guess. Thanks.

Guest jt240z

Let us know how Majestic takes care of you and what they think went wrong. I also have a T3/T04E Majestic turbo that hasn't been started yet. Now you've got me concerned about Majestic's rebuilds. :shock: I hope that this is an isolated event and not a systemic problem with their rebuild process.

Turbo was new, not a rebuild. I cranked it a few times without the coil wire connected just to make sure oil was getting there and then started it and let it idle for about 15 minutes. After it made the seizing sound and pulled the boot off to find it all locked up, i pulled the oil feed off and started it just to see the oil pouring out of the line...it was definetely getting oil. I'll be talking to Majestic in an hour or so and let you know jt. It was probably just an isolated event as all i've heard was good things about them. We'll see.

:cuss:

Man, That's like my worst fear on a turbo car. I'm sorry to hear that Jersey but the turbo sounds like a unit combo. I hope you get everything straighten up. I don't know exactly what you got to do to fit E wheel and B housing but I know the backing plate has to be altered so that might have been the problem

Me too Yo. They had to machine out the B housing to fit the E wheel and use the B backing plate i believe. I'm not sure of the exact process but he sounded like he knew exactly what needed to be done. I just think it was a fluke :roll:

It wasn't majestics call on using the B housing, it was mine. I know the E housing won't fit without using a spacer and longer studs and i wanted to avoid that. Maybe it was my bad call but i've heard others doing it and Majeastic said no problem, they've machined the B housings out many times before to accept an E wheel.

I am not an expert in determining what will fit without a spacer, but I recall a conversation with ScottyMIZ last year where he got a TO4E turbo to fit without a spacer. It was a 0.50 A/R housing, and I don't know if it was an "E" or a "B". As someone else added, a 0.60 A/R will not fit.

Not sure what Scottie did but i tell ya what, the B housing is real darn close to the block when all bolted down. If the E housing is slightly bigger, i couldn't see a way, whatever way you clock it, to fit without using a spacer and longer studs. Just an observasion.

Guest szlash280z

I had my turbo rebuilt by majestic, I got a stock rebuild though. mine is working good. they seem like the kind of people that will hold true to their warranty.