HybridZ

Paul Mumford Killed in Plane Crash

johnc

For those of you who knew or had heard of Paul, he was killed yesterday flying his private plane. Mechanical trouble forced him into an emergency landing that went horribly wrong.

Paul was the winner of the most recent Sport Compact Car Ultimate Street Car Challenge, two time winner of the OTC Top Gun Award, winner of the Laguna Seca round of the SCCA's Speed GT series, multi-time Viper Racing Series overall champion, multi-time race winner of the AMA Superbike series, and just a great, warm hearted, gentleman racer.

Here's a link to a whole mess of pictures of Paul running (and winning) at Laguna Seca last month.

http://www.paulmumford.com/laguna/index.html

And a press release on Speed:

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/03press244.html

I'm supposed to go racing this weekend but I sure as sh*t don't feel like it now.

That's horrible. I watched the Laguna race. That was his first drive in Speedvision GT, wasn't it. He looked pretty dominant. I was looking forward to watching him drive in that series.

Sad to see so many dying in small planes. We just lost the Mosers in a small plane crash what 6 months ago?

Jon

Its sad. I was listening to the radio yesterday about an hour after it happened. Reports said he had a fire in the cockpit, and the news actually interviewed a few people who saw the plane go down. Hits close to home when its someone you know, john? My thoughts go out to everyone involved. Its gonna be a sad day on the SE-R private mailing list, a few SCC guys are on it.

John, i say go racing this weekend. Get his # in black vinyl somewhere on your car.

That really sucks. He was an awesome driver. Saw the Speed race just the other week. He really was a talented driver, the vipers were a realitivly new team. John I would race, if I were you. I think it says more about the man than to sit it out. Like David wrote get some black #'s for your car. The man was passionate about racing, I think the best way to honor him is to go and do your best! God Speed Paul!