HybridZ

People interested in my custom fiberglass

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have responded to a couple threads about fiberglass parts. I have decided to consolidate the info into a single thread...

So far I have plans to make the following:

Door skins (outside)

Door skins (inside) (similar to stock)

Door skins (inside) (very custom)

Front fenders (single piece including fender, headlight bucket, and access panel (normally opens next to the hood))

Chin guard

Hoods

Overhead console

Rear hideaway compartment deck (pictures available soon as this will be my first creation)

Bolt-on hatch replacement

EDIT: D'oh, I forgot! Fender flares!

Anything else people would like to see?

Also, as far as the door skins go, I am going to specifically state that they will be for track use only. Any customers must state that they intend to use them for track use only or that they will be welding protection into the door. I dont want to even worry about someone putting skins on their doors and getting seriously injured in an accident because of the lack of protection. Additionally, if there are enough auto-crossers who strictly use their cars on track and would really want complete fiberglass doors I will consider making a mold if a good price is found and orders are commited (these wont be nearly as easy as any single-surface skin).

As I have mentioned before, this is strictly a side venture for me. I still have a job so I cant guarantee turn-around time for anything, but I will have an idea after I have created the molds. If there is enough demand, I may be able to work more on this venture and use it as a good source of income while I am going to school. I think I am also going to make a quick web-site for pics and info.

Quality will be the primary focus for me, next will be price. These products will be made basically to serve like a demo for my future creations and to help make a reputation for myself. Most likely what I will do is find a good price that I will sell these pieces at in the near future, and offer a significant discount to anyone ordering their first piece.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I am going to school for Law Enforcement :-D

Couple of comments and questions...

Have you worked with Fiberglass before? Do you have trhe equipment and backing to purchase the proper system to vacuum bag your parts? Do you plan to go at this full time and make a living of it at some point?

Plan to go through a LOT of waste before you come close to anything you will sell... Les Heath wasted about a truck full of materials trying to make a Gnose...

As for your education in Law Enforcement... Change it to something else... I have one, and went to the federal law enforcement academy (and spent time with multiple LEAs in and outside federal Gov't!) ... Unless you want to make VERY modest wages, get treated like crap by people who will loath you for being the bad man who writes tickets and spoils their fun while you work every screw ball shift and holiday away from your family and friends, all while being a target for those who hate and loath you, change your major and get an education that will be more meaningfull to the family you will one day have...

Sorry to the LEOs I've offended by my comments, but you and I know what this young man has yet to see...

Mike

G-Nose. one piece G-Nose..that'd be GREAT that has no fitment issues.

Urethane G-Nose would be even better...hooray for being durable!

The hatch is a great idea if you can use stock glass.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

No experience as of yet. I do have experience with similar crafts, and quite a bit of experience making various types of molds. Aside from learning to work with fiberglass, I anticipate that the mold making process will be the most difficult aspect, of which I have confidence in my abilities. No i dont intend to have truck loads of waste products, but yes, I expect that there will be some and have budgeted on that premise. I figure with the proper research, some experience working with professionals, and plenty of patience will yield good products without several flops. My main source of education will be my grandfather who built his boat out of fiberglass by hand and has probably worked with fiberglass for longer than I have been alive. As for the vacuum bag, I have given this some thought and believe I have an idea of a system that will work very effectively. I actually plan to use a small garage at a self-storage facility nearby where they permit such use and I will be able to keep it clean and free from any other items that would not be found in such a shop.

Not really sure how far I want to go with this. I dont think it will ever turn into a full-time business, but I suppose it could.

As for my education I have had years of contemplation go into this. I have decided that my career goals are to progress to becoming a detective. I cannot think of any more enjoyable, productive use of my intellect and investigative abilities. I do take note of your comments though, and refuse to remain at the peace officer level. Any additional input would be much appreciated and I would welcome a PM or eMail.

Ooooh, I know. Make a carbon fiber dash for the zx that looks like the s30 dash but fits the s130 -- it'd have the looks AND less weight. It may requre more skill though, but I'd definately love to buy one of those from you if you did make one. The s30 dash is beautiful, but the s130 dash is the opposite. Boy I feel like a kid in the candy store. :o Thanks.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I suppose it could be made to work. I doubt that the contours around the mounting surfaces are identical. CF is going to take a while for me to get some practice to get the surface perfect. (unless you are wanting CF that you can cover or paint). I would tend to think that this particular project is going to cost some money and may not be practical unless there are several people interested.

Guest Anonymous

I have a suggestion. Make a part. Any part. A simple part. Just make something and sell it as an example of what you can do. This will show this community that you actually are going to make parts and you have the ability. Once you establish some credibility I'm sure many more people would be interested in custom parts. This is not meant to sound like a flame. It really is a suggestion on how to get the ball rolling. A few have posted about doing the same thing but nothing much has ever happened. I do know there is a company that will make CF hoods and rear deck lids but they are not cheap. I have also seen fiberglass doors that are paper thin and weigh next to nothing but then again these are not cheap. Good luck in your endevor. I'm really not an ass. Make something and I'll buy the first one, what ever it is you decide to make. Mark

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

That actually sounds like a great idea. I could make just a little example piece that could demonstrate the quality of the product in a number of ways without costing me or anyone else very much at all. It would take less product to make, allow opportunity for feedback, and gain a lot of input without anyone really feeling like they would have to risk anything. I suppose I could just sell a small piece for like $10 and then anyone that buys one would be able to get a discount towards future purchases for being kind enough to support my endeavor. Mini-hoods for everyone! :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion! :2thumbs:

That actually sounds like a great idea. I could make just a little example piece that could demonstrate the quality of the product in a number of ways without costing me or anyone else very much at all. It would take less product to make' date=' allow opportunity for feedback, and gain a lot of input without anyone really feeling like they would have to risk anything. I suppose I could just sell a small piece for like $10 and then anyone that buys one would be able to get a discount towards future purchases for being kind enough to support my endeavor. Mini-hoods for everyone! :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion! :2thumbs:[/quote']

excellent idea. Just something simple, like the rear comparment doors, to get some practice down and generate some interest in your work.

Personally, I may be interested in a few of the pieces you've listed, but I would have to wait and see what kind of stuff you produce, along with what kind of prices you're looking for.

I think you'll find people are much more willing to pony up the cash once they have some tangable example of your work first.

Sounds good, get to work making something happen and before you know it you'll have orders pouring in

I'd be much more interested in say an "update" body kit for the early Z cars currently there is only one kit by MSA they Aero Kit 2 that even comes close to modern looks.

Just a thought.

I'd also be interested in a rear hatch, with stock glass or plexan. either way.

doorskins maybe if i ever get a cage.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Update!

Havent been able to do much other than research and mold sketches recently. This work schedule I have sucks! That, and getting low on savings due to expenses has left me kind of sitting. I will have my motorcycle on the road here pretty soon which means I can start taking my car apart to make some molds! I have decided that after making sample pieces, my first actual product is going to be a fiberglass hood for any Z's that have the same hood as my 1970 240Z. (stock replacement, scoops soon to follow). After that I will start the fender flare molds, but may start the hatch first.

Just wanted to give you all an update :-D

deff a carbon fiber dash...

also fiber glass fenders that still use the little battery doors... one with the headlight buckets on them would be sweet.

also some wings too!

and custom rear tail light panels..

mike

PDK will be offering a black fibrglass dash, paintable etc. I will be checking with our supplier again tomorrow. It has been made from the same mould that the dash in the picture above was made.

We are still working out pricing for this item. Again, I am sorry for the delay as several of you have asked for pricing.