HybridZ

Should I even bother getting this Z?

KiD-ViD

Don't lose sight of the fact that $500 isn't necessarily the final price, it's what he's ASKING. If you wave $250 under his nose he might chomp on the bait. And if it's as solid underneath as you think, it's definitely worth that much.

The way *I* see it, you're going to re-do everything anyway, so what does it matter what condition it's in? A solid, rust-free base is all you need to start.

Good Luck!

You spend money on it for two to three years and end up woith a car that is not worth much more, and you see nicer cars and finally realize that, "Golly, I should have started with a better car to begin with."

I'm not dumping on your parade, but if you do buy the car, make sure you buy parts in firesales and for the uttmost cheapest you can find. Get good at horesetrading too. That car looks like it needs a ton of work and it all adds up. Sometimes spending $1000 more for a car that is in better shape and has a few mods can speed up your quest for the super car of your dreams. Just a thought.

Davy

Guys I wish I was living in california, :cry: . I would say that if you can find a better deal, go with the better deal or just fix yourself a " 3 month on hold " because that car will stay there. That will give you time to find a better one, or if not, buy it in 3 months.

This car doesn't look bad, compare to Canada cars. I'd go for it, If you have time and money. It is a lot more work than what you think, but it is up to you !!! Otherwise listen to the guru, they have good advise. Don't do the same error I did a while a go and repair a rust bucket that I bought for cheap. :shock:

Good Luck

Dayz

Ouch :shock: Parked for five years!!!! Run like hell from this car! I have to agree with Davy Z, I too tried the "buy a cheap non running Z and replace everything approach" and it did not work out. Like I said earlier a 100 dollar car now sits in my yard after sitting in my garage for a number of years. It was always in the way, parts strew everywhere even in my spare bedroom!

It is now what it should have been all along, a parts vehicle for my nice RUNNING 76 280.

Find you a good Z to start with, you will not be disappointed.

Kid: You know the old saying "patience is a virtue"...it also applies here. What you are getting into is nothing different than anyother one of us, as we have all been through it...some several times!

Think of what you want to build. Plan it out. Save your money and keep looking. I just picked up my 3rd 240, a '71 in excel. cond. for $100. No engine or trans, but who cares...it will shortly become another V8 added to my stable.

Good early Z's still exhist. You just have to be patient and scout them out. Easier said than done...true. But, by the time you finish your search, you will be well versed in all aspects of the Z car. It will allow you the pleasure of driving something sought after and unique, and give you the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Plus it becomes a "one-of" and that in itself should give you the encourgement to embark on your project. The biggest plus factor is: "whatever you need, from parts, to hands on assistance...HybridZ is the place! I would venture to say that it is the most unique opportunity offered to any one who ventures into the realm of the Z car persona. These guys are a collective cohesion of beginners to experts, from young to old (and then some...like me) and are more than willing to share their experiences, wealth of knowledge and even their pitfalls. So, your ahead of the game before you even get started with your project.

If a Z is what you truly want...then go for it. Heck, I have three early Z's and I still am planning on building up a '41 Willys "Gasser Style" Coupe with a blown 454 one of these days!!! Best of luck!

Comps, VAN

Thanks Davy for the kind words. Been away much too long from the site. Look forward to getting back up to speed. Up dates briefly as follows:

Two40MuscleZ finally restarting the project after a year of putting Lones' old Z back together and fixing some major problems. Currently, after back halving, tubbing and flairing, it is now being refitted for the triangulated rear 4 link and sub-frame connectors. After that comes the cut down Ford 9". The 15"x15" Centerline ConvoPro rims are waiting to be mounted to the 29"x18.5"x15" Micky T's. Outside rear measurement flair to flair is 76.5" OA. I also have a local paint source instead of using House of Kolor. Still much to complete including cutting out and raising the floor pan approx 4." This will allow sufficient ground clearence for the Dual FlowMasters. List goes on...I know how Pete must have felt!

The Orange Crate (AKA Lones' old Z) during the past year has undergone some remarkable changes; only the Orange paint remains! One week after I picked it up I began its transformation. Everything was gutted, changed, rebuilt, refitted and/or modified. The only thing that remains is the fact the at one time it belonged to him. The engine has been completely gone through, and is now a 383 Stroker. Heads have been changed, to include new roller rockers/lifters, Xtreme Comp Cam, bored 30 0ver, forged 400 Scat Crank, KB Pistons, balanced/blueprinted and topped off with a new Holley 780 mounted to a port matched Vic Jr. intake. The "shorty" L-88 cowl hood scoop has been molded in and the body work is about 40% completed. Hopefully this winter will allow me to duplicate what I did to the MuscleZ with the exception that I will not flair out the fenders. Keep the body stock, but 14.0" wide tires tucked up under the fenders. After all it is a "daily driver". Although, the engine is really just about the only finished looking part of the car, this past summer, of the 5 local area shows entered, I have been fortunate to be recognized with 3 awards for best engine.

My newest addition is on its way, engine out, turbo 400 tranny just waiting for a mate to be found. Car is straight and the price was right. Just happen to be in the right place at the right time. This one is going to be my last long term Z Project (yeah, right). Not sure which direction I will head with it, but in any case it will be a Hybrid never-the-less!

Apologize for being so lengthy, will try and post photos in a few weeks. Thanks to all the Hybrid guys for all your support...especially, Terry, Tim, & Owen.

Comps, VAN