HybridZ

1JZGTE VVTi conversion

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

I was just wondering if anyone knows if a 1JZ-GTE VVTi is almost the same as placing in a normal 1JZ-GTE into a 240. I figure that it would need a little reworking to compensate for the single large ball-bearing turbo. Also, I'm not exactly sure but where is the oil pan located, I want to know if I need to have a custom fabricated one or replace it with one that would fit. I hope to get around to this swap within the nesx two years or so, so it will be done by my 18th birthday, but If i have to wait until my 19th then so be it. I'm planning on an L28et for now, but I would like to save the money for this engine.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Want aZ

Sounds like you may already be over your head since you cant ID an oil pan....

Perhaps you should go to a place and do research, Its Called a LIBRARY, Check out some books and read and LEARN.

Many times its the best way

Damon

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I doubt our new member friend was indicating that he doesnt know where the oil pan is. Easy tiger... :lol:

I would recommend checking with the dealer for any information that they may have on differences between those two engines.

1JZGTEVVTi

I cant help but notice that you are only 16. You cant possibly have been driving very long. A high horsepower engine is a lot to handle in these little Z's, maybe you should get some behind the wheel time (a few years) before you start throwing in the bLiNg bLiNg?

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

I'm making this an ongoing project car. It will start out as a backup driver with an L28et, and then I plan to turn it into a Track racer when I'm in my early or mid twenties. My everyday car is probably going to be an AE86 Corolla, maybe a new intake, but I live to a limit of 210 horses, anything above that is too much for a new driver who has less experience than others. The engines have different spacing between the cylinders, so I am hoping that the oil pan is located in the same place. Any info I can find, or anyone can give me would be appreciated. I know you guys dont want another wacko driver on the roads, and that is why I want to clear up that I am not a 15 year old kid, even though I'm only 15 ( I'll be 16 soon ), that puts Nitrous Oxide into his crappy car, blows himself up, and blames other people. I respect my driving privelage and I want to become a great driver, not a great corpse.

The 1jz's fit in the mkiii's and the mkiii 7M's fit fine in the s30 Z's and there was a 2jz in a Z so I'd say it should fit right in. I would pass on the vvti. One more thing to go wrong. On the 2JZ's it doesn't make any more power either. Check with the importers though. http://www.stormperformance.net/Toyota.htm

I was one of those wacko drivers when I was young. Uh I'm still a wacko. ZX6 when I was 17, CBR600 at 18 and a 240z turbo at 19. Never got anyone killed though :D . Money is alot harder to come by when you are young, that's for sure. I don't know how you are going to pull it off.

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

The only reason VVTi is a priority for me, 1. Better gas consumption, 2. engine performance, meaning a better powerband between 2000 rpms and 6500 rpms. i.e. more pickup, no extra horsepower, and 3. Less turbo lag by having the engine regulate the timing to let more power in, i.e. longer intake period at low revs and even timing during boost.

High HP and fuel consumption? You put too much though into the turbo lag. If you are in the power band then you'll have boost, with any motor. Some people expect to make full boost at super low rpms (under 2k) it's just not realistic. vvti might help up top but it's not going to spool it up any quicker. Good luck in the search for one though. You might want to look at some of the MKIII boards as some of the guys are into the 1jz's

http://www.supraforums.com/

http://www.supramania.com/phpBB2/

I had a Supra with a 1jz, it was the car I just got rid of since my Z is almost done. Im building another on a stand that may eventually go into my z, or may eventually go into something else... I was one of the first people to do that swap on supraforums or anywhere else public like that. I wouldnt read too much on there, most of the kids on there dont know anything about that engine, i almost never post on that site anymore, go to http://www.supramania.com and find a guy named Toypro, he lives 15 min from me, a close personal friend, and me and him have done both of ours, plus several other peoples, we know these engines like the back of our hands, so feel free to e-mail us with any questions. and.. with all that being said.. forget the vvti motor...

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

Thanks for all of the sites. Mainly I'm interested in the stock ball-bearing turbo, which has less lag. I do understand that full boost wont happen anytime until after 2000 rpms, and VVTi even though seems to do very little, allows for a much smoother ride out of an already smooth straight six. The powerband is increased, if you ever get to drive the difference between, say, a Celica with VVTi and then without, you can see that a much more velvety powerband is achieved with the valve control. Also, I have found that the engine and ECU is about the same with or without VVTi, so I'm probably going to stick with my original option, also because I really want to have a different setup than alot of other people. I also might have found an everyday driver in a Datsun 2000. It may be promising.

Where are you getting your information from? The vvti 1jz's came with a ct-26, its not ball bearing. its the EXACT same turbo that the 3rd gen supra's came with but with a ceramic impellar to reduce lag. Second,the vvti makes almost no power difference or powerband difference in the soarers,its the turbo set up, the larger single is punchier, and this is coming from someone who has been in japan and driven both. Third, the vvti computer and harness are COMPLETELY different, and the regular 1jz system is complicated enough, especially in cars like the chasers that had all kinds of extra stuff like traction control, but the vvti cars are ridiculous, Do whatever you want man, but do some more research, seems to me your getting misinformed...

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

I must be getting misinformed somewhere down the line. Anyway, when where you in Japan? I wish they imported the turbo Soarer over to America, because then I wouldn't want to put a 1JZ in a 240. I'm thinking about finding a Supra a putting the VVTi in there instead, and finding something else to put in here, like maybe a normal 1JZ.

just a few years ago, i helped with the white sc300 that will soon be featured in some magazines, belongs to a shop down here called Finish Line, 1jz car, twin blitz kit, vertex body kit...etc. IT was at nopi in the toyo booth. Its a pretty nice car. why not put a 1j in the 240? it would be badass, its such a fast revving motor, it would make the little Z car haul if you could get traction.. like i said, its what i plan on doing eventually. Right now Ill just lightly build up the suspension and body around the 7m's power, but a 1jz with a t61 or the one of the newer GT turbo's would be might nice, and probably REALLY fast, especially for road racing.

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

Hey my plans for the engine are gonna go well. Plus, I'm probably buying that 2000 that is adevertised around me. I have a soft spot for rag tops. But anyway the engine for now is still a VVTi 1jz, but it might change to a normal 1JZ depending on the price I can pick one up for.

Anything can make power with enough money, there are plenty of 1jz's with over 1000rwhp, theres 2 7ms in australia making 1000+rwhp. The 2jz is only considered the "best" here in the states because its the most popular, but in japan, i know of a few 4th gen's that ditched the 2jz in favor of a 1jz, it all depends on what your trying to build, but if you just want lots of power, just build a big blown 454 or something and dont waste your time with a supra motor, it will do it easier, cheaper and faster.

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

ooks like I'm gonna just go with a normal 1JZ. They are alot cheaper, not to mention I like the way they look more. Much lower profile. I don't wanna show off having a Supra motor in a Nissan, it kinda feels sacraligous. Anyway, I think I'll ditch the twin turbo setup for a single, large ball bearing turbo. Any suggestions on what kind of turbo I should use?