HybridZ

I'm going to race a camaro ss...

JoeinCA

Hello,

I have a buddy in my class that owns a 2001 camaro ss, automatic tranny, 3.23 rear end.... basically stock.

I challenged him in a race up to 150 mph. We were supposed to race last night, but he chickened out. I'm going to make sure to get him tonight though.

he showed me the place that we are going to race at, it is a straight section of road, about 4-5 miles long. it is going to be a lot of fun. I think i am going to try to get a guy that owns a 5.0 mustang to race too. So my friend can at least beat him. :-)

My buddy jumped on it to about 110 last night. Then he asked if i thought i was going to beat him... heh, I smiled and told him that i am pretty sure that i will beat him pretty badly. His car rides alot smoother, so maybe it that is alot of the reason why it felt slow.

I guess i will find out soon....

MWAHAHAH i get to drive me z again soon!

Joe

prepare to have your ass handed to you :)

i would also advise against running your car to 150 for several reasons:

1. at 100mph, your car makes about 100 lbs of lift without the airdam.

2. you'll max out about 135-140 due to aerodynamics

3. stock z aerodynamics make the car unstable at those speeds

I think it is a very bad idea to race at those speeds on the street. You or an innocent bystander is likely to get killed. Fast cars are fun and exhilarating but require a certain amount of restraint and responsibility.

If you want to race, take it to a track. At the quarter mile, you can show off your acceleration. At an autocross, you can demonstrate the agility of the car.

If you have to go 150mph, go to one of the track day events. They begin by sitting you down in a classroom and instructing you in driving technique, then they ride with you, and then when they're fairly certain that you won't kill yourself, they let you run by yourself. Typically, you'll get 4-5 half hour sessions on a track that will test the limits of car and driver.

I don't want your next of kin telling us you are dead, paralyzed, or in jail.

I say race him to 100mph and you should win then but those SS have huge advantage up at those high MPH because they have 25+ years of aerodynamics on you! I dont think you really want to take a 280Z up to 150 with out some serious body modifications.

Guy :D

Don't try 150 on the street! Run it on a race track! When I got a 750 street bike in 1980 I rode it hard (or so I thought) and fast on the street. Two years later I was invited by a guy I worked with to the race track to ride laps on. Back then you could give the track $75 and ride all day and I was hooked, I raced them for eight years after that. What it showed me was how dangerous going fast on the street is and how slow it really is. Don't do it take it to the track, 1/4 mile or lapping will be much more fun.

Be safe because there is only one of you.

Don

The road we are planning on is deserted.

aux... once ive got my transmission setup and flushed... i think i will be able to put much more power down, also, when you rode in my car, i had not yet tuned the carb, it is making gobs more power.

We decided against racing tonight. The time has to be perfect, low wind, 2-3 am...

I dont think that i will lose... And the passerby scenario is impossible.

I just really want to drive my Z, and since i cannot daily drive it right now, the only thing for me is to take it out for like 15 minutes at a time. I havent driven it in over 2 weeks!!!!

I think that the boredom of this town is getting to me... and these classes are way too easy... which is good, i have good grades.

uh, yeah, it is almost 7 am, i need to sleep, i have class at 4:30 PM to 1:40 AM....

night,

Joe

Guest Iceickle

Racing on a road is a baaaaad idea.... Have you thought about wildlife at all? Even something small such as a possum is easily capable of sending you off the road at that speed, and your name will be 'JoeinHOSPITAL'

Out here all i have to worry about (and worry fairly hard) is kangaroo's at night, they seem to be attracted to the lights and cross the road just as you approach... Ive hit several roo's in family cars (i wasnt driving) and they do some nasty damage... Worst time i remember was when the corner of our nissan patrol hit a roo in the gut, and green semi-digested grass was splattered all over the car, lol!

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I agree, over 100MPH is crazy on the road. :nono: Anything can seriously mess you up. If you hit even a road imperfection at those speeds you can end up turning your car in to a 100MPH debris cloud with a little mist of Joe bits. The worst part about it is that you will be racing so you will be even more likely to push it rather than back off if you think you see something. Not to mention that one of you is probably going to be on the wrong side of the road. At 120MPH you cover 1 mile in 30 seconds. That means if you happen to spot a car a whole mile in front of you, you will have to come to a complete stop in less than 20 seconds! (sure, you could duck behind the car in the correct lane, but do you really want to swirve at that speed, and then hope that the oncoming vehicle doesnt panic?)

Take it to the track, I will even chip in for the cost of your run and buy you a beer for showing the winning slip! :cheers:

Guest 400HP280z

not trying to flame here but DUDE how old are you? you have peolpe that are looking out for you and telling you to be safe and you tell them that you

1. think you can still win

2. think that oncoming traffic is IMPOSSIBLE. in racing ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

YOU HAVE ALOT TO LEARN.

I'm 25 years old and have seen TONS of kids that have thought they couldn't get hurt. of course the bad part is that they were at my dads work, which is a Funeral home. if you ever are in Louisiana or Arizona let me know so i can take you to a funeral of a young kid and show you what the family has to go through. please go to a track and race..if not for yourself for the other people that use the public roads.

Yeah, alright.

I guess i am just getting a bit stir crazy out here. I need to get a different transmission, and i know that i wont have enough cash until after the snow comes and goes. I dont think that my current setup would even make it to a track... heh...

I am fully aware of the dangers of racing on the streets, but we all have done it, dangerous or not. I will take it to a track and race my friend in the 1/4...I'll probably have a better chance of beating him anyhow...

joe.

Hey, Joe!

Have you ever actually HAD an old school Z up over 100 mph? I guarantee you that unless you're stupid or you've got a VERY special car, you're going to dirty your pants. The same steering geometry and light weight that make the car so much fun going around the twisties make high speed driving unsettling, at best.

Certainly don't do it for the first time in a race, when you have something to prove, for God's sake.

That said, I have a simlar need for speed. I've had my BMW up to 130, and my bike up slightly past that. The BMW just kinda hunkered down and did a very good imitation of a guided missile. I sure wish the Z had those sort of road manners.

I've taken my z up to 130 +...

It is SCARY... I had to swerve to miss a cone at 130.... the little Z stuck to the road quite nice that time... But the car floats big time.

I am taking a hot rod custom course, and the Z will be getting NUMEROUS aerodynamic modifications. I want it to suck down to the pavement.

The real scary part of going that fast is slowing down safely........

I'm no expert driver, but i have been driving anything and everything as fast as possible since i was a wee little one. As soon as my Z is up to snuff i plan on taking some racing classes, it is one thing to know how to do something, and a completely different thing to have someone show you and then critique you until you get good.

I know the car could take it, but it really isnt worth the risk at this time.

Joe

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I am fully aware of the dangers of racing on the streets' date=' but we all have done it, dangerous or not.[/quote']

This is quite true, but how many of us actually reach those speeds? I am a die-hard street racer, however, none of my cars have ever seen speeds anywhere near that in a street race. My rule is that if I havent wasted them by 15mph over the speed limit then I have lost or it is a draw. "I had him by a car-length" isnt much of a bragging-right in my book. If you have to race up to that fast to beat someone then I consider it a draw.

Besides, how would you even verify that eachother reached the designated speed?

I had to swerve to miss a cone at 130

You dont swirve at 130. The Z is floating too much and isnt nearly responsive enough to "swirve". If you had a car that would stay down at 130, you wouldnt swirve because that's when you find the ditch on the side of the road opposite the cone.

I'd say make sure you take some classes before thinking of racing like that, then, if you still are going to race like that on the street, go back and ask for your money back because the class didnt teach you enough.

*sigh*

swirve, change lanes, avoid, whatever the hell you wish to call it.

Ya'll can quit picking apart my every word, it isn't very endearing.

A "die-hard" street racer sounds pretty accurate.... :roll:

It is a rare occasion when i hit the streets with any sort of intention to speed, race, or basically act like a complete idiot. It has been over a month since i have even been able to drive my Z, i have been stuck in my extraordinarily slow 3/4 ton truck.

Yes a race to 150 is excessive, stupid, blah blah blah.

Get off my back,

exuent.