HybridZ

never cleared the tree on the first try

Guest chevsun

Guest chevsun

Call it nerves or whatever but after 4 years I finally got the car and me to the track in epping NH for the first time ever for either of us. I sweated my way through the Tech inspection then staged at the tree, brought the rpms to 4000 and dumped the clutch on the light ....... BANG ! never cleared the tree. I had broken the drivers side ZXT inner CV shaft directly behind the tulip, sheared perfectly. Very humbeling experience for my first try. Fortunatly I had brought a spare cv shaft and after about 45 min I was ready to try again. I approached the light much more cautiously the next time and lightly loaded the drivetrain before dumping the clutch on the light. This time I had a little wheel hop and spin but at least I made it down the track. What a thrill. My first full run ever netted me a 13.734 at 108.07,.763 light and 2.452 60ft. I made 5 more passes for the day with a best of 13.267 at 109.29 and the last three showing some kind of consistancy. Some of the guys at the track said I could break 12's with that kind of mph and some practice. I was running through the mufflers, on bfg street radials, 45lbs pressure with no burnout at all just pulling to the line and launching. The next time I go I will make adjustments. Any suggestions? I just wanted to get me and the car down the track this time and after breaking at the light I was a little gun shy. Anybody got a spare drivers side ZXT cv shaft? I'm hooked. I think I have created a monster. It,s a good thing my wife is supportive of this or I would be in court by now.

I know exactly how you feel. My second run was a 13.2/108 on street tires. I finally got the car back this past Friday and a group of us are headed to the track on Oct. 24th. Goal is to break into the 12's. I'll still be running on street tires but I think I can improve my launch a lot, reduce my 60' times and shave .3 off my time. We'll see. It only took two runs down the track to get me started. Already spent a bundle on my own helmet. DR's and custom lightweight steel wheels next.

Congratulations on some excellent runs!!

Are there no stronger aftermarket axles made for the Z?

Not that I've heard; I'm still using stock U-jointed half shafts. I always carry a spare, but I still haven't broken one in three seasons of dragging (yet!). Then again, my best 60' is still just 1.876 seconds.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I wonder if a shop that makes custom driveshafts could make us halfshafts?

What about:

shorty.jpg

BTW, I just emailed that company since they appear to make similar components.