HybridZ

Dynamat Substitute

Guest greimann

Guest greimann

If anyone has priced Dynamat® for a car audio project, you know that it is STUPID EXPENSIVE. I mean really, $20 for a couple of squares! :bonk:

I found a tip for a substitue that is EXACTLY the same as Dynamat® for about $1.12 a square foot. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search out part # 9709T19 - Polymeric Mastic adhesive backed damping sheet. It comes in 32" x 54" sheets for $14. 62 each. About 1/5 the cost of Dynamat®. :2thumbs:

I bought some and know it is exactly the same stuff.

I previously did a very extensive search on this topic and came out with Brown Bread as the best choice for sound insulation. I have used it in my car, goes on very well, works great and is much cheaper than dynamat.

Check out this website. the stuff is really good (don't worry I have no stocks in the company) :wink:

http://www.b-quiet.com/?ovrtr

the cool care cermamic spray seems to be more of a heat insulation layer/paint. There is no test about reducing sound levels (decibels). Since it is a easy thing to do (with a handheld docimeter)and they don't provide any hard data on their web site, I would be very sceptical about the product. Also the dynamat and brown bread type of products apart from clearly being good sound insulators are able to significantly dampen vibrations thru the body which is a very nice feature that I wanted. For example my doors feel more solid when I close them now.

Also I had an anoying drone from my 3" exhaust system at 2500 rpm which is no longer audible inside the car ( I also insulated inside the panels such as over the wheel arches). The nice thing about brown bread is that it was indpendently tested for vibration supression and sound deadening against dynamat and many other products. So there is both hard data and good testimonials.

The Brown Bead is good stuff.

The ceramic stuff supposedly reduced inside levels of up to 18dB. I'm not quite sure the test parameters, but it would make a good noise/heat insulator. Lay some Brown Bead on top and you may have Lexus quiet interior with AC and heat that will actually keep the car cool or warm.

I have been using an asphalt/adhesive/aluminum backed product called "Peel and Seal" that sounds EXACTLY like the Brown Bread. I bought it at the building supply store and it comes in a roll aprox. 36"x 70ft for about $70. It is used mainly for mobile home roof repair. It must be applied when temps are warm.

Will

I back up the Brown Bread. I have a Porsche 944 and a 951. The reduction was extreme in the early 944 and for less than half the cost of Dynamat. I bought it off Ebay for a great price. I've used a couple types of asphalt sheets but they didn't seem to be as effective unless a spray deadener was used in conjunction with it.

James...