HybridZ

"Momma I'm comming home..."

blueovalz

Well, I was not satisfied with my hermaphrodite headlights that I had on the car, but at the time I felt they were the best option. The longer I looked at them, the more they hurt my eyes, especially in the sense that one of the defining charateristic of the Z is the headlight configuration and it's telltale "scoops". So, me being me, I decided I was going to go "back home" so to speak and acquire the long lost Z charater I lost when I installed the small headlights. So without further ado, here is a half-and-half of the new (OEM sized headlights) verses old (newer, smaller) headlights (I know there will be a deep sigh of relief from some of you, and I don't blame you). Picture quality is not-so-good making the opening look a little odd, but you'll get the idea.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Guest Zachb55

I agree, it looks awesome either way but keeping a little original touch will help things i think. what are your plans for the car? any racing or mostly shows or just to drive around or what? cant wait to see that thing in paint, but its great that your taking your time to make it perfect! wish i woulda had the time to do everything i wanted on my car, but things dont always work out! lookin good dude.

-Zach

I am crying. :cry: The small projector lights were an awesome idea and I thought they looked like the best things that were put into the car. Did you try the lighting at night, Terry? Were they adequate? Do you want to sell them and the cylinder/'hole' you used to mount them in the front of your car. Oh yeah, there were relays too, no? I'm serious, Terry--PM me or email!

Did I mention I liked it the way it was before?

Davy

The reason I felt the smaller lights were not "working" with the rest of the car's design was:

1) The large expanse of surface on the front compared to a stock Z. The front on my Z is a bit over 3" wider and about 3" longer on the front than the stock Z. Add to this the effect of the vertical dam up front and you end up with a front end that "appears" wider and larger than the back of the car, even when my goal was a balanced effect (even a slightly larger rear would have been acceptable). This would have been no big deal with the same 7" lights, but now put 4" lights on the front and now the larger front "mass" is emphasized even more.

2) There are many visual cues to the unique design of the Z. One of the key front end characteristics is the abrupt and sharp hood leading edge with the rectangular grill opening below it, and the other is the scooped out headlights. I tried to maintain a radiator opening that rested below the leading point on the front end (which is not the hood, but it is an extension of the hood). The aerodynamics of this were helpful on the course and the visual rectangular opening was a close enough semblance of the OEM grill to be acceptable for me. But the headlights, round as they were, could not satisfy my need for a primary Z ingredient. My goal was to emphasize or exaggerate key points of the Z's design while at the same time promoting a functional improvement in areas such as track and tire size. To lose the unique headlight arrangement on the Z was more than I could handle (especially in light of all the other work done). The smaller lights would probably look much more at home on a Z with more stock dimensions and parts, but were too small for what was already done to the car. Photos of the car did not show how truely out of place the size and shape of these smaller lights were. Only now with the larger lights is the "smaller" size of the front end becoming apparent. Balance is the key.

To answer the other questions, these smaller lights were more than adequate for the job of lighting. In fact, I had to add power resistors in the circuit just so I could dim them on a lower power setting (high/low power switch instead of high/low beam angle).

Hmmm, I see your point, Terry, but I still like the look from the pictures. I'm the 'different' guy in the crowd :wink: and I like the work you have put into the car. I suppose it is not that I like the look of the projector beam lights more then the stock size ones, but I think the uniqueness was what was cool about it. Yes, you are right in saying the 7" lights are more balanced looking with the widebody then the smaller units.

Thanks for the email, Terry!

Davy

Yeah!!!!! I never said anything, because I'm a firm believer in "to each his own", but I didn't care much for the small lights for all the reasons you listed, Terry. Too little visual break in too much front end! What I would consider absolutely kick-ass, though, is the incorporation of the projection lamps either to the inside of, or underneath the 7" main lights. Remember the previous generation Celica GT? Kinda like that.

I applaud your decision, and I'm happy to see you're retaining an important link to the Z ancestry. Your car is absolutely tits-up, and I can't wait to see it in paint. It would look absolutely malicious in midnight pearl blue, you know. Or a deep metallic burgundy. A color that classy on a car as muscular as yours says, "I could kick your ass if I wanted to, but tonight I'm just here to dance with your girlfriend". Or something like that. ;)

Well Terry, you're going to think I'm nuts, especially since I agree with you about how important the original headlight design is in the Z car look. It was important to me that my car retained the "sugar scoops".

But..., I liked the shark eyes. (Shrug)

I think because you have taken the design so far from the original that it just seemed natural to have unique lights as well. Also, and don't take this as a slight, I don't see a Z car when I look at your car. I see a an aggressive custom sports car/racer. Something a step or two above a Z.

The big lights look good too. Hey, who doesn't like a pretty girl with big eyes? :D I have to ask, Did you use the stock headlight buckets to make a mold for the new look or is it cut from scratch? Sure seems like you got a lot of work done in a short period of time. Using the stock buckets as a guide would make the symetry-izing (there's probably a real word for this idea) go quicker.

The "shark eyes" as penned by Dan looked good at certain angles (like the side) but from other views in a 3D world, they were just to "beadie eyed" to look appropriate on all the front end surface, especially up close to the car. The "sugar scoops" break up all the area now so it's not so obvious. My photo hosting site (link below) on "head lights" shows how I did this. In short, I used a sonotube (concrete footing cardboard tube) as a form (they are waxed), and then used 280ZX buckets to hold the lights themselves.

Are you thinking about covering the new openings with clear plastic for aerodynamic and visual reasons? I think the covers might tie the new openings into your re-styled front end, without compromizing the "Z-ness" of the larger headlights. Good call on the restyle, btw.

Also, if you show the same careful photo documentation for how you custom fab the covers, those of us with GTO body kits with older cracked covers will all go to school!

Thanks for sharing your meticulous work with the rest of us,

Charles