HybridZ

Tires at 300+ RWHP

I run yokohama avs intermediate 225/60/15 rears. Great overall tire and very stealthy because they make hardly any noise when you peel out.8) I am somewhere around 400hp/390tq at the crank of a 327/T5. Flooring the car in 2nd at 2,000 rpm will have the tire spinning by 3,500 rpm. A wider tire or something stickier would help me hook better, but I'm generally satisfied as they handle very well when not going in a strait line.

251hp to the wheels (309 lb-ft torque) and AVS Intermediates and I just smoke them through first and second. Open diff does nothing to help, of course :roll:

Heavy Z, man, what is the backspace on those wheels? My AVS' are 215s and I am running them on like a 6.5" wheel... Your wheels are some big mofos... I would think you would have more than 225s?

Heavy Z, man, what is the backspace on those wheels? My AVS' are 215s and I am running them on like a 6.5" wheel... Your wheels are some big mofos... I would think you would have more than 225s?

Yes the backspacing is very aggressive on these rims. They are 15x8 with 205/60/15 front and 225/60/15 rear, but the tires look as if they are a couple of sizes bigger. I'm not sure of the offset.

3.55 rear. 225 50 16 Falken Ziex & 225 50 16 555 Nitto. Falkens corner pretty well, but no traction in 1st, anything past 1/2 throttle in 2nd, and still are getting loose in 3rd in the mid upper rpms. On the plus side, the Ziex has a rain groove, which will lessen the hydroplaning on wet roads. The nittos, even when really heated still can be burned to shreds at anything past a 2500rpm stomp in 1st, wheel hop more in 2nd, and are hooking by third. I changed spring rates so I'll be switching back to the Nittos this spring for another try and see what happens.

John

383 11:1, solid roller 244 .575/.613 108 lsa, AFR 195, Victor Jr, Holley HP750, 1 3/4 headers..6speed Tremec,..blahblablah

The problem with your tires is the rear suspension,it doesn't plant the tires under power.Thats the downfall of the irs,I know becuase I had the same problem a few years back with the bfg drag radials blowing of at 60-70 mph.My only satisfaction in traction was to swicth to et steets,handling baaadd but traction gooood. :)

I aggree with the "daily driven" Z' makes it tough to find decent tires..

I ran the Kumho Victoracer 700's on the back 265/45/16's.. with a lsd They hooked up so well, I managed to scare myself on a couple of launches :shock:

They work ok for "weekend warrior" z's only...

I have now switched over to Yokohama AVS Sports and I am very happy with how well they hook so far... 1st gear is an easy spin... 2nd...not so easy...no spin in 3rd...

When I had the Kumho's I was pushing 300 ft/lbs of torque easy.

I"m not too sure what it is up to right now... my fastest official1/4 time I got last year was with the E brake on.... so ?????

Anyways I believe I am sacrificing grip switching to the yokohamas, but now I get the ability to drive in all kinds of weather, and not afraid to put some serious mileage during the summer..

my 0.02 cents

Just for comparison I run Bridgestone 205/60HR15's on my 77Z. The car weighes about 2950lbs with me in it. I ran a 12.9 at 110MPH and managed a 2.0 60ft time. My differential is an 1988 300ZXT 3.7 LSD. At that time the car dynoed at 307 RWHP and 345 RWTQ. I am amazed how well these tire hook up.

Guest JAMIE T

Advan(yokohama) A032R's. These hook well, and lots of road racers use them as rain tires. They are street tires though, soft, but not as soft as a DR. I use them front and rear.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous
Yes the backspacing is very aggressive on these rims. They are 15x8 with 205/60/15 front and 225/60/15 rear, but the tires look as if they are a couple of sizes bigger. I'm not sure of the offset.

Hey, what are you running under the hood?

Also, I like your hood scoop. If I can't fit my BBC 427 under hood of my '75 (custom air cleaner) w/o cutting I might be bitting on your hood idea, if you don't mind.