HybridZ

Tires at 300+ RWHP

Just wondering what everyone is using at 300 +rwhp, if its cool, just post your power, estimated or dyno, whatever, and tire size and make or whatever, i was looking at the kumho ecsta mx's, but the sumitomo htzr dont look too bad either. This is a car thats street driven, and pretty often, i want something sticky, but i dont expect to hook at 4500 rpm launches on the street, but i dont want to be kicking the back end out at a 35mph roll in. ill be making 375ish rear wheel, so think "keep her straight while she flies down the on ramp."

Last time I was on the dyno I got 348rwhp. I run 225/45 R17 BFG g-force drag radials, and they spin from 1st to 3/4 of 2nd and some times into 3rd the car lets out a bit. And the are I have almost burnt up 4 of them in the rear. I think the tires are not right for my setup. I dont do burn outs with them, they just seem to peel up (see photo)

The 26x9.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's that I use at the track dont do this....

album_pic.php?pic_id=1450

Brad,

Not that unusual for a competition tire. I know a guy with some Kumho Ecsta MX's that do the same thing. Basically it gets hot and picks up everyone else's rubber. You just need to get it on a twisty track and scrub it off!! Not real happy about hearing how you burn them all the way through 2nd and into 3rd gear. What kind of torque are you developing and what gearing in your differential?

Guest Dan0myte

Hey Brad, my friend was at VIR the day you ran that 11.7. There are some good pics of your car on his site,

http://209.82.15.102/gimli/gimli.html

As for the tires peeling, that 4.11 rear end may be your downfall. Definitely a good drag racing gear, but on the street that's too much torque multiplication for a 400hp non-LSD car. Moving to a 300ZX differential should clear a lot of that up, while giving better gas mileage and auto-x control at the same time.

im curently running a 12.2 @ 120 with an open 3.7 diff in my 86 z31.

im looking into the 200sx turbo 4.11 unit- it is lsd right ? thats what i have been told.

im curious if my mph will go down? or stay the same with this rear.

i put 400+hp at the wheel with 450+ torque.

Stock internals and cams.

See, i was going to get a competition tire ( the v700, bf ta-kd drags, 555r's etc) but that seems to happen to all of them who drive on the road a lot, I was thinking since im running such a wide tire, i could probably get away with a good high performance summer type tire, a la the toyo t1s, the yoko avs, or es100, maybe the sumitomo htr, eagle f1, dunlop sport 8000, etc... but id like to hear more combos and what people like and dont like. remember, this is for street driven cars..

I kinda run whatever 225/16's or 245/16's that are convenient. They don't last too long on the rear wheels for some reason!! :oops:

I do run Yokohama AVS Sports on the front though and 235 60 15 drag radials at the track.

last dyno at 18-19 psi was 363 rwhp and 412 tq

Guest Dan0myte
im looking into the 200sx turbo 4.11 unit- it is lsd right ? thats what i have been told.

Nope. Open diff. Nissan never released it's LSD rear end into the Silvia lineup until the S13 (known as the 240SX). There are rare cases of the S12 (200SX) having an LSD in Japan and the UK, but never in North America.

Nissan tried out a clutch LSD from 87 - 89 in the 300ZX, and was the sole reciepient of an LSD unit those years. In 89, they decided to integrate LSD units into a lot of other cars they made.

Guest Dan0myte
Dan0myte, Thanks for the pics. What was dose your friend drive? I might of talked to him.

http://209.82.15.102/gimli/gimli-Pages/Image6.html

That's him, he drives a red 11-second '93 Talon.

I have a written off 71 Opel GT that you might be interested in.... It was in mint shape before it kissed a pole... Lots of Mods.

I can always use parts. :) The biggest ones I need right now are hood and winshield, but those are probably toast on this car already hey?

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread. Currious to see if anyone with 300+ rwhp or known 12 sec cars tried a different street tire and found it to have decent second gear grip. I cranked the boost up a little more on the 7m Z and now I have no traction in second at all, kinda fun to play around and roll on the throttle at 45 and spin them but it's useless till 3rd :( . I am running 225/45-17 Kuhmo 711's.

i'm getting good hook on a 255/18/35 tire.. its roughly ten inches wide.. and its a falken ze-512.. second gear seems to hook better than other street tires i have used.. i also am putting down

424hpa nd 475 torque @ 3800 rpm.

best run is a 12.0 @ 121