HybridZ

what do you guys think about (LT-1)

i just found a LT1 in the local swap and sell guide.

i called yesterday and i was the 1st caller so i'm going to check it out tomorrow.

it's from a 95 caprice cop car 5.7 liter (350) cast heads not aluminum NUH!

with wiring harness and ecu and trans mission for $650

the trans is a 4L60E what is it? the guy told me on the phone it's a step up from a 700r4 is this true? if so how good is it?

info,info, info gimme all you got on these engines and tranies.

asap i'm checking it out tomorrow afternoon

thanks guys!

LT1's from F body cars with the t56 transmission generally go for over $2000 on ebay. The manual transmission really drives up the price, but if I remember correctly (and check ebay for recent sale prices) $1000-$1500 is not uncommon for an F body LT1 with auto tranny.

The Caprices with iron heads do sell for less, especially if they are beat to death ex cop cars. That particular transmission has been discussed to death on this site, so doing a search will quickly tell you that it is a good choice. Many guys are using it.

On the plus side the 95 engine is probably the best year to get. It has the reprogramable ECU but not any of the OBDII restrictions (if smog legal is of interest to you). There is some issue with the optispark, but I think it is easily overcome. Do a search on LT1 and read what the guys who have done the swap say.

The iron heads are no big deal if you plan on upgrading to aftermarket aluminum anyway. Some people claim the iron head can be ported to flow better than the aluminum, but i still think aftermarket is a better way to go.

I have been planing a swap for some time now. I have just about concluded a 95 Caprice LT1 is what I want. Mainly because I plan on upgrading the heads at some future date, so why pay the premium for factory aluminum? $650 for the set sounds very reasonable to me. But once again, check ebay to get an idea of what similar sets ups sell for.

My only hang up is the transmission choice. I want a manual, but the t56 sounds less than ideal for a Z. Pricey, heavy and with less than usable gear ratios. The only other potential options that will handle the power of a built up LT1 are even more expensive (Tremec, G force T5, ???)

$650 sounds like a great deal. How many miles? '95 is the best year, as already stated, because it is OBDI but also because it has the upgraded opti-spark. I paid $2700 for the '95 f-body LT1/T56 combo I dropped in Steve Cameron's Tomahawk just a few months ago. That was the best deal we could find at the time.

I have to disagree with you Sup Dog. All six of those gears are very usable. What do you want, wicked torque off the line that can send a fresh set of Goodyears up in smoke, or 1400rpms at 65mph for econobox milage? You can have both and everything in between with smooth shifts and no fear of breakage. Yes, it weighs about 75 lbs. more than a T5.

Having driven both in a V8 Zcar I'd have the six shooter even if it weighed 150 lbs. more. JMHO

Man I love my screen name. Something about educate people calling me "sup dog" that I can't get over.

All I know about the t56 I learned on this site. Quite a few members have commented about the gear ratios. Phantom and Mike Kelly come to mind. Good tranny in that it is well built, but read the comments. 6 speeds are somewhat excessive.

Went on ebay today and $650 is so low I almost have to ask what is wrong with the engine that they have priced it so low? Type "LT1" into the car parts section of ebay and you wil see what I mean. That is a phenomonal price. But like I said, have to worry about used cop motors. Miles and condition will make a difference.

can i work this?

i just want the tranny for my 3.8 turbo from a GN

insted of the 200r4

is there a kit to run the tranny seperatly?

i also have a 90 tpi motor that needs a tranny but i prefered that had a t56

but the set up i want would be the GN with this tranny.

can it be done?

That is a good price for the complete motor and a steal with the 4L60. You can get an adapter to put the trans behind your GN motor, but it also entails torque converter pilot adapter and spacers which I don't like. You would have to run a stand alone trans controller which is big $. A TH700 can be used with no electronics. IMO, the 4L60/TH700 gear ratios suck compared to your TH200. It also is bulkier and longer. If it were me, I would get an aftermarket rebuild TH200 and stick with it. They can be built to withstand 1200+ hp GNs. Check out some of the Buick sites for details. If my 4L60E wasn't integrated in with the computer in my SS, I'd swap in a built 200 and 4.10 gears. THe 200 has a little more OD than the 700 also. The reduced first gear (2.6) makes for a much better spread between 1st and 2nd than the 700. After the 3.73 swap in my Impala I'll see if my attitude changes.

all i have is a GN motor actually. no trans.

but if this one looks to be a pain in the ass i don't want it.

ALSO IF ANY ONE WANT THIS DEAL TELL ME NOW

if it looks good i'll just ask for a deposit in my paypal account and get it for some one here that could use it.

but i need to knwo NOW i was going to check it out this afternoon

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,

I'm just getting started with a 74, 260Z. This is my first attempt at a Z and this one came with a fresh small block chevy in it. Needless to say I will have a lot of questions coming, for now I will just start with a couple. First, I need to get a radiator for it. Is there something of the shelf that will be suitable to accommodate the modification of the small block chevy? Second, I need headers, is there a factory bolt on or do I need to get them custom made? Any advise here would be appreciated.

Jim,

You will have many questions as you get your V8Z sorted out. Easiest and fastest thing for you to do is to use the search function (from either the top of the forum page for specific topic searches, or from the home page for a site search.)

To answer your questions, there are off the shelf headers (block huggers) and radiators for your car.

Tim