HybridZ

Original Z Handling?

my dad bought a bunch of old Road & Track Magazines at a swap meet today. In a couple of them they had the performance specs of the 240Z. The highest listed one was .77G on a 200ft. circle. Was is just the tires back then or did the early Z's really handle that bad? When we go driving in the backroads i noticed that the car handled good even before the new tires ( falken azenis w/ old struts, my dads 2+2). Could someone explain this to me?

You really can't compare .g numbers without knowing the diameter of the skidpad, surface conditions (dry, wet, dusty surface, etc.), and other variables. Also, .g numbers are just a measurement of absolute grip in a very artificial situation. They really don't tell how well a car gets around corners.

Guest 240hybrid

I have a road and track with a blue 240 on it that has road test with 9 different tire brands, which I think is the same mag. your talking about. Michelin was the best in dry cornering with a .745 G and Yokohama came in last with a .713. All the tires tested were Radials too. Overall Michelins where the best and the Yokohamas where the worst of the bunch. Like mentioned tires have progressed so much that the test in that mag. don't mean much anymore.