HybridZ

nice 70's japanese cars thread (56k don't think about it)

S30Z Bushido

I like a lot of those, no offense, but IMO some of those suckers are hideous.

I would have to agree on some of them. And what is with the crooked head lights? I do love the old Celica's though, they always looked like a mini muscle car to me. I would like to see more of the GTR also.

And what a bizarre wheel style with the tires narrower than the rims...

That style was big with the "mini truckers" in the late 80's

• 2 weeks later...
And what a bizarre wheel style with the tires narrower than the rims...

That style was big with the "mini truckers" in the late 80's

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but maybe there's some more pics lurking out there, as well to clarify some info about the stretched tires.

Mini Truckers may or may not have done it, they probably did, but mostly drifting can be blamed for the current trend of having 8+ inch wide wheels with 195 and 205 size tires, creating in some cases a slight flatness to the rubber, or in extreme cases like you can see, some very tight stretching.

For drifting, this is VERY good as far as aiding a) getting the car sideways and B) keeping the car under control while sideways.

When you drift with a large tire, you have alot of sidewall flex, if you stretch that sidewall, it is tighter and has much less flex, allowing throttle inputs to be put to the actual contact patch more efficiently, and making body roll and tire roll to a minimum.

It's all about control and handling, but alot of those guys are probably doing it for style only,

sorry for the reviving of a dead thread again, but it was a good thread anyway and I don't think many people will mind :D