HybridZ

Looking To Do a TT SBC?

Anyone looking to do a twin-turbo SBC (Myron?) might want to check this out. This is a little pricey but absolutely the best way to go as you will never have to worry about cracking or leaking headers. The high cost can be made up by the fact that you would not need large or expensive turbos. A pair of stock GN turbos would do just fine and there are experiments going on now that have TT GNs with 2 stock turbos making over 800hp.

I believe the total cost here would be less than a S-charger setup.

http://www.turbobuick.com/bb/Forum7/HTML/005489.html

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

[This message has been edited by Scottie-GNZ (edited March 12, 2001).]

HEY!!!

Those are MY old manifolds!!!

Seriously though, I had a set of manifolds that looked nearly identical to those. I originally bought the kit for my Z, but I couldn't fit the turbos frown.gif The strut towers were in the way and the turbo's sat too high. I would have needed to do A LOT of sheet metal work to get it done. I will say though, the idea is still very tempting biggrin.gif . I tried to adapt my kit to my Impala SS, but the time and money was more than what I wanted to invest into my daily driver.

Oh well...

Scottie, where do you keep finding all these "gem" pictures? cool.gif

-Andy

Most of my pics come from the turbo Buick forums. Those folks are insane when it comes to HP.

One of our own Z-car owners, Greg Kring, also has 2 GNs. One is a 3700# street-driven stageII and he recently sent out an update. He drove the car to the track and it clicked off a 10.45 @ 131+ on ET Streets AND PUMP GAS. Says the car picked up both front wheels despite spinning the tires. With race gas it has a best of 10.06 @ 137 with only 19# boost rolleyes.gif. Thats 764 RWHP by my calculation and with slicks and 25+# boost, I will need another calculator biggrin.gif.

RickB, did you see him run?

BTW, any news on your engine knock. Before you dive into the engine, make sure the distributor advance is not malfunctioning and causing severe knock. If you continue to run NOS and do not already have it, I would consider a knock sensor and some device that can retard timing or shut down the NOS if it detects knock.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

He Scottie, thanks for the heads up on the manifolds. I probably wont pick them up

right now because I am still somewhat

up in the air on my total package for the car. I wanted a unit with a 5 or 6 speed

but the chassis is for an automatic

and I have all the computer/wiring to

make a 4l60E work. Eventhough it is an automatic they are really nice trannys's

I love the one in my TransAm. It shifts

hard and has been bulletproof with my abusive driving for 120,000 miles.

Myron

Sean,

Greg's turboZ IS a work of art. Last time Myron and I were at his place, it was under covers and the engine was in some corner in his garage. Bet nothing has moved since.

If I had a daily driver that had mid-9 sec potential, I would probably be pre-occupied also.

Greg has tired of the zcar.com scene and combined with his busy schedule, does not get online much anymore. I am going to try and convince him to drop in on this forum every once in a while.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:

Greg has tired of the zcar.com scene...

I have no idea how that could happen - I tired of that place years ago.

BTW, for an example of a kick-a$$ Twin Turbo SBC, check this out:

1982 1200HP/1000TQ Twin Turbo SBC 427 Corvette

Freaking incredible! Not for those without DEEP pockets.

CRAP! I can't get into Scottie's link! For some reason, I'm "not allowed." That really bites. sour.gif

I'm trying to build a turbo SBC, and a twin is not out of range for me at the moment. Grrr...

Any suggestions? Take MS Exploder and shoot it?

Davy