HybridZ

Advance timing For 81zxt (Haltech Program and SDS)

monster626

I just wanted to know what anyone else is running. At this time i have my base timing at 20 btdc-30 at full advance and 15 under boost. I am only running stock boost at the time. Just wondering if under boost there is a possibility that a little more advance would help say 18 or so. I'm still working on the setup do to the cam that i'm using( msa 270/260). It is a ruff idle which i expected but loves to pull untill you say stop. I welcome any ideas even from those with any other standalone systems. Thanks for you help.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

You'll make alot of power with that much timing, specially at low boost I wouldn't go any higher. I would suggest using the boost retard feature at 15psi, start retarding 2 degrees per pound of boost if your going real high on the boost. That would depend on your cam and if your on race fuel. Have fun, good question.

thanks for the help

If i understand you correctly i should stay at 15 degrees under boost?

I'm running the large turbo cam from Motorsport auto (270/260) duration.

No i'm not running race fuel just super unleaded. T3 with only 8 psi from the internal wastegate. If possible is there anyone that knows what the stock advance is for the turbo models.......... I'm having fun with the set up but i'm not sure how far away from stock that i am. Thanks again for the help. :-D

Here is a timing map I developed for an SR20DET. It is much more aggressive than you want to run under boost, but gives you an idea on how to structure a curve. This was with a large/efficient intercooler and large turbo(62-1). The 2nd picture is of the timing curve I used to run on my L6 motor. You can see I ramp out the timing very quickly and then taper it off to maximum boost.

sr20timing2.jpg

adv.jpg

thanks for all the help

right now i have had the car set to 20 at idle advance to 30 cruse at 36 and under boost 17 seems to run good but i think i'm still a couple degrees off on the cam setting so thats what i'm working on now. the card said that intake opens 25 degrees btdc and for degreeing that it is 5* btdc so i'm a little confused. is 5 degrees on the cam 25 at the crank?

If any one could help explain i would like the help. All timing marks are dead on during the rebuild so i know where the exact tdc is.

once again thanks for any help