HybridZ

BIG BIG PROBLEM!!!!!! please help me..

Guest ON3GO

big big problem.

my dad just called me saying he put the rear wheels on the car, and that the rear of the car RESTS on the tires.. the wheels wont turn at all.

he said the coilovers are at the very top of the sleve and that the rear of the car is WAY TOO LOW!

im freaking out... i need to get this car down to miami for the motor.. and i cant have any more problems....

is there something im missing... something my dad did wrong?

the car has modern motorsports coilovers, sectioned struts,

any ideas at all guys? has this happened to anybody?

my dad says that if it wasnt for the wheels it would go down even more..

mike

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

If the spring mount is at the top of the threaded tube you will either need longer springs, or raise the threaded tube. Are you sure the perch is at he top if the threaded tube? If your dad has never messed with coil overs, he may be looking at it wrong. I hope he is wrong and there is some adjustment left. If not don't sweat it, not the end of the world. It could always be worse. You could put a smaller diameter wheel and tire on the rear to move the car and get it sorted later. Mark

i wish it was that easy.. the other wheels i have wont fit over the rear brakes.. and.. if they did there here with me in texas and the car is in Florida.

it has to be 100% done for the motor work and trip to miami.

im freaking out.

if the spring is too short then what do i do?

there 8in springs btw so they clear the wider tires and wheels.

mike

i wish i could get more pics... i asked for them but my mom said my dad has been working on the car all day without even taking a break. and its hard for him to lift the wheels and tires off cuz of all his chest problems/surgreys..

the sleve is 1.5inchs away from the top of the gland nut..

mike

why what happend man? somebody hit your car? if so let me no who il take them out for ya..

and thanks man.. that means alot.. i wish things just worked out... this car has been nothing but a nightmare..

i just dont see why its doing this...

mike

17x10... there custom wheels made for my car..

im gonna run ZG flares but still. it seems way to low cuz the front are sthe same size wheel and its not doing that..

mike

Yeah, some jackass hit my car at the body shop...he works at the shop next door and jsut walked off.

when i confroted him he was liek "whatever, i just bumped it"

he broke the passenger side suger scoop all to hell. what an ass. he didnt even care. I was honestly giving him so much shit I was waiting for him to make the first move and through a punch. im not a violent person, far from it, but that would have made my day. GRRRRRRRR...

still pissed off. called the owner, and he didnt give a rats bum about it either, he said "the front of your car was on our property. so tuff sh1t"

jerks, my body man is of course a wizz with fiberglass and claims he can fix it, also said that its inside now and will not sit outside until its ready for you to pick it up. whenever he finishes it.

man im not happy about that at all. :x:x:x

bah....whatever....im just thankful he didnt back into my intercooler. guess i should be greatful to that sack of crap.

anywho....sorry to jack your thread.

i wish things just worked out... this car has been nothing but a nightmare..

i just dont see why its doing this...

mike

because its all custom. thats just the way it works. welcome to the "fun" side of things....just thing of the reward when you get to drive it. "I built this"

Mike,

The other guys are all on the right track for you. Remember a few things. First, your offset front vs rear,(meaning bodywork) is different and what works with respect to the front fenders might not work with respect to the rear fenders.

Second, To put the flares on, you will be cutting away some of the fender under the flare. However, with where it is sitting now, that would be some serious cutting to clear and not hit on a bump.

Last, it really could be any small thing with the strut that is not allowing the spring to do its job. The upper mount could be incorrect, or the spring might not be seated properly or a number of other issues. A good picture of the strut itself w/o the tire, esp. up towards the top of the strut will help the others troubleshoot. edit- i see you have the pictures now. what about a shot up into the hole where the upper strut mount is. granted you have about another 1.5 inches you can go up with the spring mount, it should be in the proper range and not be doing that. You might just have to go to a 9 or 10 inch spring. A call to Ross where you bought the springs/etc.. might help.

Glad to see you are close to finishing.

And you never did answer if you were supposed to be going to Boot camp soon? Did that not happen?

-Bob

Thanks bob... i posted some pics so you can see the strut..

no i never went in the army, or air force..

im now in texas, going to school at UTI..

thnaks for alway shaving kind words..

be honest did you really think i would be even modifing a Z like this the 1st time you replied to one of my dumb posts... :D

mike

At full droop (from your photo I assume with the jack under the diff), it appears the spring is just barely compressed (which is not a bad thing being mine completely unload at full droop). The threaded tube appears to be correctly located. First question is what is the spring rate on these springs? 2) the placement of coil-overs (I believe) eliminates the upper rubber isolator, which on the 280 is about 3"???). So was this taken into consideration when determining the placement of the threaded tube. 10" springs instead of the 8" could be one answer to your problem. Quick fix to get the car somewhere is to shim up the spring off the perch, which could be done, but would require some quick fabrication. It sounds as though you will need to depend on someone else to do this?

it is or WAS turning out pretty awesome. 400hp motor on its way, and a badass car.. but now this...

im gonna call my mom and see if she can get some more pics.. unless she is sleeping

thanks

mike