HybridZ

Ramflow Airfilters for triple webers

Nismo280zEd

My kit came with these ramflows... they should be decent enough for the time being till i make a box and my own system... but anyways..

This filter element is dry... i have a K&N recharge kit in my garage.. i was wondering could i spray the foam filter with the oil to filter out dirt better? or am i wasting my time in the difference of dirt it will catch...? since it's in the engine bay.

Nismo, the question becomes, why would you want to fab a fiberlgass intake for tripple carbs?

I have one manufactured by TWM. My suggestion would be to buy one from them. Trying to fab this part would take one 2 piece mould and one, 1 piece mould and a ton of time.

If you like to make fiberglass parts as a hobby, have a great time. If your looking at trying to save money, buy the TWM part...

I've worked with fiberglass for several years in marine and automotive applications. I don't see y creating a fiberglass box would be more costly or hard to create? and i would only need one mold of cardboard to make it. Rather simple i think.... maybe i'm missing the complication here? first piece would be all metal with holes for wing nuts and screw to go threw. the plate would bolt right to the carbs. Then the fiberglass would just have a metal flange embeded in it with matching holes. Then to fight the cone filter, just cut off a piece of my old CAI intake pipe and fiberglass that in it as well and woolah. Fiberglass cone intake that allows airhorns to be run.

-Ed

Mr. Coffey will probably correct any errors in my statement, but I think the TWM units are specially tapered to keep the flow going all the way to the back of the airbox. I have heard that an incorrectly shaped box can really limit flow to the rear carb. I don't know how hard it would be to get close enough to the TWM unit to be "close enough". A slight taper is all it really looks like, but maybe there is more to it than meets the eye. :?:

Jon

Nismo,

the TWM will allow you to run air horns, you are limited to 50mm airhorns though.

It is easy to say what you are going to do, the actual fabrication will take lots of time and possibly one to two attempts to get it right. As I said before unless this is a hobby I suggest that you purchase the well designed part. the TWM air box is a proven race part.

OK... So this is where i have a problem. Maybe I'm mistaken here but i thought this website was devoted to extreme ideas and customizing our cars.

Correct me If i'm wrong but if everybody put on store bought parts... this website woudln't be here.

Why would I pay around three hundred dollars when i can make it for less than sixty.

Also i have come to realize that unless the company is small or does only datsun, then usually the quality isn't there and i would rather make it myself to get the quality i want.

Forgive me if i come off rude as it is rather early.

-Ed

I for one don't doubt that you can make a box and save yourself $200+ Nismo. I just wonder how much engineering went into the shape. It really doesn't look like much. Maybe they just went with some standardized taper, if rc240z has one he could lay it down on a table and use an angle measure to help you.

Jon

Nismo,

This is a spirited debate :D I believe in the Hybrid theory. I just cant help wondering sometimes why some people think they think it is necessary to re-invent the wheel :shock:

I guess it gets down to what is your time worth? OR Do you think your design will work better than what was designed by TWM? My time, in my mind is quite valuable. If I spent 6 hours making this part I could buy one from TWM and save money.

Lets use an example:

If you look at PDK Fabrication they make custom strut bars for Datsun Z cars...Lot's of people make strutbars for Z's, ours are unique and were tested for a year prior to releasing them to the public. The time and engineering that went into making this part exceeds the $50.00 in materials it takes to make one and two hours it takes to fabricate one. In order to turn a profit we have to sell at least 10 units at $250. Another example, we make 240Z racing dashes. This fiberglass dash was splash moulded off of an original dash (that was destroyed in the process) to provide a unique racing part for vintage racers that want to maintain the look of the original dash with aftermarket gauges and a 40LB weight savings. We designed a unique product that no one else offers. Isn't this the meaning of Hybrid?

I hear all the time, people saying I can do this for less, but really that is not the case. :x building a strut bar like ours or a fiberglass dash or an airbox really will take more time and money (time is money), than if you went out to buy the part. IF you are going to do something like this examine TWM's Design and MAKE A BETTER ONE. That is the meaning of Hybrid to me...Okay I will get off my soap box now...

If you want I can forward any information you need about the TWM air box, let me know if can help you. :-D:-D

Look... I think we got off on the wrong foot. I'm one of those people that hate being told I CAN'T do something. Time and time again I have proved people wrong as being told i can't is a strong motivator for me.

I enjoy fabricating parts, it is a way to get outside... do something positive with my time, relieve some stress. Also excersizes my brain on solving problems that come along and keeps my mind in a creative state. I get a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment when i make something all of my own. Also if i make it and it doesn't work... it's a challenge to me to make it better so it does work. But this is just my style and personality as I am a very curious person, stuburn, persistant, and love learning; which is why i love this forum.

Honestly i do not think TWM put much engineering into the box at all as they certainly didn't think much about their intake manifold. The taper prolly occured by needing the box to clear the strut support inside the engine bay. But that is my opinion and i'm entitled to it.

Sorry if I've offended you... I just don't like people telling me what i can and cannot do when i have yet to find my own limit of what i can't do.

No hard feelings... thanx for offering help I might take you up on some dimensions if i need them.

-Ed :wink:

There is a taper for a reason, just as most modern intake manifolds are tapered it is to maintain good velocity and to help promote even air distribution to all cylinders. Take a look at any modern intake manifold where the inlet is at one end and the air has to travel all the way down to the other end to reach the last cylinder, they're all tapered in some fashion. Heck, even the stock 280Z/ZX FI manifold is tapered for the exact same reason.

There are exceptions to this, mostly because the inlet has moved to the center of the manifold such as in the BMW I-6 engines so the velocity and even air distribution are inherently more equal. Still, internally there are deflectors molded into the manifold to help keep the air moving to the right places.

Also, the airbox was not designed by TWM from what I've heard but was a joint project with some customer/company to develop a "universal" cold air box. The backing plate is simply drilled to fit based on the application, i.e. Jaguar 4.2, Datsun, etc....

Also, with regard to their intake manifold fitment (or lake thereof), remember that TWM is in the business of fitting ITB (Individual Throttle Body) onto cars, not carbs and the areas where the Weber's do not fit is not a problem for the ITBs. However, if they are to market the manifold as suitable for carbs (which they do), then it would have been wise to do some dry fits to make sure there weren't any interference issues. Just my .02.

Yeah i'm sure the taper does promote even air distribution along the cylinders. but i seriously doubt they spent months.. test fitting and testing in labs and the on cars to perfect the product... but yeah i agree the tapper is useful.

either way i'm gonna make my own intake how i wanna make it and that's the bottom line. I'm also debating about putting a scoop on the hood and fabing up a ram air intake. Haven decide for sure yet, dont' know how the scoop is gonna look on the hood.

:wink: