HybridZ

Anyone use this MSD FPR on their Turbo Z?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=2628&cat_id=13&cat_name=Fuel%20Pumps%20and%20Regulators&sc_id=55&sc_name=

The thing is INCREDIBLY cheap at only $55!!! Just wondering if that comes at a cost. I know it's not an RRFPR, just 1 to 1 for every pound of boost... which again brings up the question of regular adj FPR vs. RRFPR... I've seen people who use either one and had good results.. but I dont think I will ever find an RRFPR that cheap. If anyone has had good experience with this unit on their turbo I'll pick this one up, then get a better fuel pump, then most likely get the HKS S-AFR (or S-AFC I keep getting them confused... just a piggy back fuel controller), bump the fuel pressure up a couple of psi and then use the HKS to tune the richness at idle and cruise back out, but to make sure I"m getting enough fuel at the top end on boost.

That sound like a good plan?

Not in the true definition of a rising rate. All electronically fuel injected engines use a manifold referenced pressure regulator.

A rising rate unit is a big pancake thing used in conjuntion with your stock "manifold pressure referenced" regulator to raise fuel pressure HIGHER than 1 psi per psi boost.

It's a regular old fuel injection adjustable fixed rate pressure regulator. And I think it would do a good job in a factory EFI setup provided you are not running a maxxed out system.

Under no circumstances EVER get a pressure regulator without a boost reference.

edit: The specs on the MSD are a little misleading. They spec a flow rate in single digits of gallons/hour; completely inadequate for the flow of even a stock 280ZX n/a fuel pump. I suspect it's incorrect, and the FPR works fine, but it kept me from buying one last winter. I went hog-wild and bought an AEM Universal. That is a nice regulator.

Guest bastaad525

I was under the impression that a rising rate regulator increased fuel pressure by MORE than 1psi for each 1psi of boost. At any rate, a pressure increase of 1 to 1 on a turbo really doesn't increase the pressure, rather, it keeps the pressure level. Figure, with every pound of boost that increases in the manifold, it would take one more pound of fuel pressure to inject the same amount of fuel into the manifold. The point of a so called rising rate regulator is to go past this pressure point and actually offer a real increase in pressure relative to the boost level. I.e.: 2 to 1 increase, fuel pressure will increase 2psi per each 1psi of boost. This is the kind of FPR I usually see recommended for turbo applications. Well whatever it's called... I just want to know if this one would work well. The one you linked too doesn't have the vacuum/boost reference port on it, otherwise they look identical. It can support up to 46psi, which I think would be more than enough for my application.

Guest scottjuly79

I am using that exact regulator (MSD# 2222) I am more than happy with it so far. The boost enrichment is not adjustable and will always be 1lb. of fuel to lb. of boost although the baseline fuel pressure is adjustable, say 36PSI. fuel pressure at 0 boost/Vaccum plus 10PSI. of fuel at 10PSI. boost=46PSI of fuel pressure.... well you get the idea.

I have heard that these units are only capable of adding a certain lbs. of fuel under boost, I think the number I heard was 7psi. or something like that, but that could be, and probably is just "urban legend"

Anyhowe, I would highly recommend this unit!

That is urban legend. As long as the boost line is connected the tha vac port any FPR will increase FP 1:1 until the pump can no longer keep up, wich on a stock pump may only 7 psi above atmo. I've tested the stock FPR with 30 psi to the vac port while testing my pump for volume/ pressure and it works fine.

I am using that exact regulator (MSD# 2222) I am more than happy with it so far. The boost enrichment is not adjustable and will always be 1lb. of fuel to lb. of boost although the baseline fuel pressure is adjustable' date=' say 36PSI. fuel pressure at 0 boost/Vaccum plus 10PSI. of fuel at 10PSI. boost=46PSI of fuel pressure.... well you get the idea.

I have heard that these units are only capable of adding a certain lbs. of fuel under boost, I think the number I heard was 7psi. or something like that, but that could be, and probably is just "urban legend"

Anyhowe, I would highly recommend this unit![/quote']

Seems like it should work fine and it does sound like it's a RRFPR. The model #2220 is a 1 to 1 regulator but this one, some how, is "boost adjustable". I'd be a little concerned that they don't tell you the rate of increase for boost. :? If your thinking of "fooling" the stock system for more boost potential, then this may work for you. If you're planning on a programmable ECU in the future, then I'd stay with only an adjustable FPR.

Guest bastaad525

Thanks for the tips guys, guess I'm gonna order this one on monday :)

WOOHOO this is like my first performance mod in three months :)

Next is fuel pump, install my I/C, and finally PAINT!!!

*is a happy camper at the moment*

Seems like it should work fine and it does sound like it's a RRFPR. The model #2220 is a 1 to 1 regulator but this one, some how, is "boost adjustable". I'd be a little concerned that they don't tell you the rate of increase for boost. :? If your thinking of "fooling" the stock system for more boost potential, then this may work for you. If you're planning on a programmable ECU in the future, then I'd stay with only an adjustable FPR.

If it doesn't have a second diaphragm, there is no way it will have a non-linear rise of pressure with boost. That is why the RRFPR units are connected into the regular FPR on the return line with a second boost reference - to gradually restrict fuel return based on a second separately adjustable boost reference.

That's the one that I run and I think that Lockjaw uses that one also. I bought mine form Overboost.com come aswell. Don't get in a hurry though it took about a month or more for them to get it to me. I was at the point of telling them to crdit my money back when it showed up. By the way I'm happy with it so far.

Guest bastaad525

They're actually not too far from me, I was thinking of picking it up in person, which the sales guy said was fine.

I just wish there was a more clear way of knowing if an FPR like this would be suitable or if I DO need a unit with more than 1:1 psi of fuel to boost increase. Ah well for the price and added flexibility this MSD one is very hard to resist.....

I'm not certain but, you would proublably need to use the the MSD regulator and then use a Rising rate FPR inline with it. The RRFPR will come into play when the boost gets higher than stock. What you want is a unit that is adjustable. The Cartech model is something that I would recommend. I used to use it and it worked well up to about 12 psi. After that is was hard to tune right on a consistant basis. You definatley will need a better fuel pump when you start to increase the boost.

Guest bastaad525

The cartech FMU is the other one I"m really interested in... darn thing looks like a flying saucer though (is that a trend with parts makers these days??) actually after reading some old articles on stuff like this I think the cartech may be the better choice... I dunno... car's gonna be parked again for a while, at any rate... damn thing just wont stay okay.

I bought the MSD-2222 from Summit for $52.69. This regulator is made by Bosch, and is OEM on some German cars.

The adjustability range is 36-45 psi. Some quick math will tell you how much flow you can gain from this, and consequently, more boost.

45 psi /36 psi = 1.25

(1.25)^1/2 = (1.118 - 1) * 100 = 12%

So, knowing fuel flow is proportional to pressure squared, a 25% increase in pressure yields a 12% gain in fuel flow.

In a perfect world:

12% more fuel flow ~= 12% more boost ~= 12% more HP

So, if you're starting to lean out at 9 psi (pressure ratio = 1.61)

then you can expect to be able to run ~11-12 psi (pressure ratio = 1.80) with the extra fuel. Your individual results may vary, depending on turbo efficiency, IC effeciency, injector condition, and fuel pump capacity. In any case, it's helpful to know where your ceiling is with the extra fuel.

I like the simplicity of the 1:1 adjustable regulators, because they are very predictable and simple to adjust. I installed the MSD-2222 directly in the stock location on the stock fuel rail. I had to make a custom bracket out of sheet metal, but it was no big deal.