HybridZ

Stock 240Z handling??

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay you know how all the popular magazines rate a cars handling... you have your G's around the skidpad, your speed thru the slalom, braking distance from 60-0mph or ... I was wondering what all these numbers were on a stock 240Z? I know the car handled well for it's time... I just want some kind of reference point to say 'oh my car handles about as good as these other cars'.

Also, is there any way to really gauge how much of an improvement suspension mods make w/o running these tests? For instance, I've simply upgraded to Eibach Pro Kit springs and Tokico non adjustable shocks... and I can tell the car handles much better. As a matter of fact, it is by far the best hanlding car I've ever driven, and is the first car I've driven that has a limit that is higher than the limit of my own courage... in other words... when pushing this car hard, my balls give out long before the tires lose their grip :oops:

Are there places you can go to test your cars handling abilities? I mean, where they will actually use instrumentation to do the skidpad test or braking test or whatever? I'd love to see what she can really do....

Guest bastaad525

Kewl well that answers the second half... what about the first? I know some of you guys have old (OLLLLLLD) issues of various magazines, anyone have one or have another reference somewhere that shows the capabilities of a 240z, as tested new 30 years ago? I've done some searching on the net and have found just about every spec for these cars except these!

Guest 240hybrid

I remember having this discussion about a month or so ago ,but couldn't find the post. Well, anyways, the Road and Track mag posted a 0.745 G on a dry cornering test with the best radial they had, and this was in 1972. The article was testing 10 different brand of radials.

Here numbers you asked for:

Datsun 240z Handling: max lateral 0.72 g right, 0.77 g left

Skidpad understeer 5.6 degree right 4.2 left degree

maximum roll angle 5.1 degree

Braking: from 30 mph 27.5 ft ( Motor Trend March 1971 )

from 60mph 151 ft (Sportd Car Grahic Mar 1970)

from 60 mph 125.1 ft ( Motor Trend Aug 1972 )

from 80 mph 287 ft ( Road&Track March 1970 )

Opel GT Handling: max lateral 0.67 g right 0.68 g left

Skidpad understeer: 4.6 degree right 3.8 degree left

maximum roll angle 6.7 degree

Braking: from 60 mph 150ft

MGB Handling: max lateral 0.76 g right 0.77 left

Braking: from 60 mph 152ft

By the way did you use bumpsteer spacers with your suspension modification or Eibach doing their job just fine? I want go the same way, just curious.

David

Guest 240hybrid

Heres a few more specs that the 240 was capable of in 72'. Stopping distance on wet pavement was 168 ft on the best tire, which was a Pirelli. The cornering G on wet pavement was 0.625 G going 30.6 mph, and 0.745 G going 33.5 on dry pavement. From the pics on the mag these facts came from the 240 seemed to have excessive body roll. So chassis strengthening,upgraded suspension, wheel/tires, and upgraded brakes would improve all these numbers if you ask me. 30 years does a lot to improve a vehicle.

Guest 240hybrid

I'm haven't gotten around to upgrading the entire suspension setup, also I don't know where to go to get those numbers tested. I've never seen anyone post any G numbers on thier Z with a upgraded setup as of yet, but I'm sure the numbers are out there somewhere if you search long enough.

Chase