HybridZ

Colder Air lower boost?

Len

take advantage of the cold, you can tune around it and make for some nice driving, when its dry of course. hit my first real detonation last night, spiked 18, I was kinda relieved though, didnt start pinging until 16, audibly that is!

ya thats a normal thing with turbo cars.. it was a night and day difference in my friends wrx when it was cold out. same with my boys TT Z's..

its quite nice :)

mike

If your fuel delivery is not maxed out then the EFI will adjust appropriately for the cloder/denser air. And since the cooler air is less prone to detonation, you can actually turn up the boost without any detonation. When I had my old 280z turbo and another 280zxt on the east coast, both non-intercooled, I could turn boost up 1-2 lbs in the winter over the summer time. Only if your fuel delivery is maxed out at your current boost, could you possibly get more detonation because of leaning out. If your car is detonating when it is cooler, it most likely a prbolem with your EFI, such as non functioning temperature sensor causing the problem.

Guest bastaad525

How does the ZX sense air temp? There's a little sensor in the AFM right?

I have the Grainger valve style boost controller, and it used to worry me too, it would run noticeably higher boost in cold weather, well only about 1psi... was very frustrating at first, I'd set it to 10 psi and then at night it'd always go up to 11. Now I kind of like that it does that... It takes advantage of the cooler intake charge, but now that you mention I do worry a little about the higher oxygen content.... I haven't heard one ping yet so I"m not too worried about it, and the car definately has more power when it's cold out.

Thanks for the input guys.

During summer I adjusted my air (Boost) to my maxed out fuel systum. I was running 17/18 psi boost on stock t-3 @ 42 psi fuel pressure. 370's. 60mm TB, NPR I/C, 2 1/2" DP, 3" exaust. 83 STOCK electronics :|

Ran nice.

Now with the weather colder. I noticed the dreaded rattle/ping of detonation.

My antiquated adjustments I have to work with are as follows:

Timing

FPR

Dawes (Grainger) Boost adjuster

AFM

Now with my fuel pretty well maxed out. That leaves my Boost controller (my air control) as only adjustment.

I Have the AFM and that will adjust air/fuel mix according to air temp, to an extent. But at WOT shoving 18psi I wouldn't think to much temp adjusting with AFM is happening :D Kinda like force feeding air. Since air is denser when colder as compaired to summer (like a awhsome wintertime I/C :-D ). And as mentioned before; I had everything adjusted or maxed out for summer. Using what I have to work with. I just figured that the colder condensed air changes the senerio to where I need to lower the boost to adjust my mix

Just wondering If you guys with similar setups; came up with same theory.