HybridZ

MegaSquirtnSpark fired up (on the first try)

mobythevan

Got MegaSquirtnSpark running on my L28et tonight. First try it fired right up, with the temperature of the block at 36 degrees F. It is only idling around 400rpm right now, but thats not bad for no adjustments to anything!! I know squat about tuning engines so I will just follow the MS manual and see what happens. It was super easy to time the spark with the stock 83 dizzy. Just got to TDC on number 1. Then turned the crankshaft back to what looked about 50 BTDC to me. Then started cranking and changing the crank angle value in MegaTuneSS. Three changes and it is right on. I just used base settings for fuel in MS and that was it. Fired right up. I started it four times to check various things and now I'm ready to get idle set and start some real tuning. If somebody else could have given me the knowledge I learned on the install so far, I could have one of these up and running in about 3 hours. That would all be wiring. Since I didn't know anything it took me about 12 hours to get it started(all wiring and prep work and trying to figure out how to trigger MSnS and fire HEI module). Right now I am using the 4 pin GM HEI module to fire the turbo coil. I'm stoked now because all of the hard stuff is done and MSnS works.

:cheers:

but is the MSS a whole new system, or can the MS system be upgraded?

This is part of what I'll explain, I had the same questions when I started. The MSS code just downloads onto the MS board using easytherm as the downloader. MSS still functions just like MS, you use MegaTune to do all of your fuel settings, except fast idle output is now used for ignition output. So you lose fast idle control. You also use MegaTuneSS, which lets you set all of your ignition stuff. You have to bounce back and fourth between the two programs to tune fuel and ignition. The MSS guys are working on one MegaTune that will include fuel and ignition settings, but this is a minor inconvenience. That is it, uses regular MS board with no mods. You have to provide a fixed trigger from the dizzy because you are setting a table of timings in the computer now. You have to use some kind of ignition module to fire the coil, the ignition output is not capable of firing the coil directly.

I guess I should wait till your "artical" comes out in print. But

Some of the questions I've wondered:

Would our 280zxt dist (crank angle sensor) be compatable as a "fixed trigger".

Possibly listing options in your parts list of what is required along with optional places to locate them:)

Including being able to trash the AFM :D for what type Mass air sensor?

I'm mentioning these questions/ideas for possible inclusion in your award winning artical .

Cause I know you and Benard and others have been discussing off and on for awhile. Just thought putting it all together would be awhsome!

Just a thought.

Believe me I realize there aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish family/Job etc. Then spoon feed us hybriders on all your experience/wisdom/scars.....concerning MSS

Would our 280zxt dist (crank angle sensor) be compatable as a "fixed trigger".

Including being able to trash the AFM for what type Mass air sensor?

Do you mean the 81 sensor that is on the cranskaft? I think that is what you mean. The sensor that is in the 83 turbo dizzy works, not sure how to connect to the 81 type that is on the cranshaft, but we should be able to figure that out.

Yeah, trash the AFM and go to no air sensor. The system uses MAP sensor on the intake manifold and doesn't need any kind of air flow meter or mass airflow sensor.

BTW, I've got the FAQ 90% finished, I'll have the first draft of it on in a couple hours and we can start adding all kinds of stuff to it.

This is the area where I need some info from other guys because I am only aware of 2 different dirstibutors on turbo engines. You either have an early one with the CAS on the carankshaft or a later one with the CAS in the distributor. I used the later one with CAS inside. If the CAS on the crankshaft uses an optical sensor it will be easy to adapt my install to use it. BTW, see my other thread titled installation guide.

Moby THANK YOU! You have cleared up alot of questions I had concerning MSS. I also see you put alot of time on your explaination of MSS which means alot. I guess I need to take the first step tward hands on experience to get my feet wet. But that may take awhile due to my commitments (family and business).

Man you really did good. Please keep us updated with your important "ROAD TEST" In the future. I'm looking forward to really seeing MSS come together in REALIFE!!

Thank you for the time you spent explaining MSS!

No problem, I hope more people get interested in MSS now. I can't wait to get the car tuned up, but the temp here last weekend was around 10 degrees so I didn't want to open the garage to run the car anymore. I'm going to look at a few junkyards today for some more parts I need to finish this stage of the project.

Moby,

Have you posted the interface between the Turbo Distributor and that GM module? That would alter the equation on what I'm currently doing with my Turbo Z being I have 2 83 turbos to choose from, and one 81....I was going to use the 81 with the conventional dizzy drive with the MSD and BTM for control, but if the spark timing is available from my second altered MS box, firing a GM HEI module (what, like $39?) attached to the stock coil and transistor, I may go back to that setup---especially if you like the results you are getting!

And am I reading you right that you have downloaded the ignition portion of the program to the SAME MS unit you are using for the fuel, utilizing the idle output to fire the ignition? If this is the case, I am THERE if it will all fit in one box! I don't want to use up my spare just for spark when I can get MSD boxes for under 110$...

On an aside, I called my original 91 Chevy G30 Van "MobyVan"--I miss that as a tow vehicle...no speed limiter!

Have you posted the interface between the Turbo Distributor and that GM module? That would alter the equation on what I'm currently doing with my Turbo Z being I have 2 83 turbos to choose from, and one 81....I was going to use the 81 with the conventional dizzy drive with the MSD and BTM for control, but if the spark timing is available from my second altered MS box, firing a GM HEI module (what, like $39?) attached to the stock coil and transistor, I may go back to that setup---especially if you like the results you are getting!

Check the sticky post about MegaSquirt'nSpark installation, it has info on hooking up the distributors. I am still having one problem with the spark control section, it is only affecting my cranking timing to start the engine. I should have that figured out before too long. The HEI module is only about $15 for the cheapo units at autozone. If you use the HEI module I believe it has a transistor inside to fire the coil, so I am not using the ignitor transistor anymore.

And am I reading you right that you have downloaded the ignition portion of the program to the SAME MS unit you are using for the fuel, utilizing the idle output to fire the ignition? If this is the case, I am THERE if it will all fit in one box! I don't want to use up my spare just for spark when I can get MSD boxes for under 110$...

Yes, that is correct.

On an aside, I called my original 91 Chevy G30 Van "MobyVan"--I miss that as a tow vehicle...no speed limiter!

heh heh, yeah I sold mobythevan (named by my cousin when he owned the 68 chevy van) but all of the screen names have stuck. It is just easier than changing my identity everywhere. I had a lot of fun with that old van....