HybridZ

JUST FOR THE RECORD....

Corzette

Well I am now a member of the Jack Stand Racing Crew. For what its worth here are my current projects that will start December 8th:

1. Change Tranny filter and install Megavalve (Booster valve .500) :)COMPLETE

2. Install new rear strut caps from Tim240Z :)Dont need to, fixed the problem

3. Install upgraded 280ZX Brake Booster and MC from Denny411 COMPLETE:-D

4. CV axle upgrade from Ross :)COMPLETE :lol:

5. Rear Disk upgrade from Ross :DComplete...

6. Do complete torque check on all bolts :o

7. Put 1/4 inch spacer under rear diff mount to cure drive shaft vibrations. I have the solid mount so it should be easy enough. DONT NEED IT ANYMORE :?Dont need to now because vibs were coming from rear drums...problem solved.

So I guess Ill be busy enough for the winter. Then its off to the track when they open at Wall Raceway here in town in March....

CorZette

welcome to the darkside.... :twisted:

you're gonna be busy for a while! all seems like pretty quick stuff. i get my 350 tomorrow which i then proceed to tear apart. still working out what works with what, but probably speed demon carb, performer rpm air gap, appropriate cam, can't decide between aftermarket aluminum heads or just getting work done on the gm iron, all the while ripping stuff out of my car like taz with a ratchet. i'm hoping to have the engine together and in by mid spring, but i can only work as fast as budget allows. :cuss:

more and more members... i love it! i'm not the only one not driving my car! this may seem wierd ( thread got a reply while i was editing)... but all you need to join our world is to be in possession of a z-car that you're working on and not driving. jackstands themselves just make you that much cooler..... 8)

good luck zette....you'll be back on the road in no time!

Jackstand Racing entry questionairre:

1. After getting out of your Z, is your mouth tired from making the "vroooooom, pshhhhh, vroooooom" noises?

2. When describing your car to someone else, do the words "someday" and "get it on the road" ever pop up?

3. Decide the value of your car as it sits. This is value A. Decide the value of all the parts you own that are NOT installed on your car. This is value B. Is value B higher than value A?

4. Which happens more in any given week:

A. You drive your Z.

B. You drive something else.

5. Have you ever seen a ricer (while driving) and audibly said "I wish I had my Z" when in fact your Z would not start?

6. Choose one of the following: I am most likely NOT to drive my Z today because of:

A. the weather.

B. the floorpans.

C. the wiring splices under the dash.

D. the lack of proper weight distribution without an engine.

7. If you saw the previous owner of your Z, would it make you upset?

8. Decide these totals:

A. the amount spent on JY parts you will never install.

B. the amount spent on shipping parts to your door because it was easier than going to the JY.

C. the lost profits of parts bought then sold because you're "going in a different direction" with the engine.

D. the amount spent (or what it will cost) getting the registration current on the Z.

add these together. Hahahaa.

9. Do you have more than one set of any part/parts that do not wear out? i.e. halfshaft, TB, intake, rims, steering wheel, emblems, shift knob, valve cover, console, etc.

10. If you wanted your car on wheel ramps, how would you go about it?

A. I would drive it up them.

B. I would jack it up and place them beneath it.

C. It is on wheel ramps already.

If you took the time to take this test, you are probably qualified to join.

I pass all of those requirements, haha. I really need to fix my floors, and frame, and steering rack, and struts, and brakes, and wiring, and tires. I should also diagnose that odd clunk coming from the rear of my car, and try to keep my gas tank from leaking. Heat would be nice too. Wow, my car is a mess. Can I be a member?

Also guys, don't forgot those memebers who only have a "engine", and are waiting for the right Z to put it in. I keep saying this to my friends "when i get my Z, it will blow the doors off your firebird." :-P Pity those of us who have no Z to work on *cries*

hmmmm i say yes to most :D

I should also diagnose that odd clunk coming from the rear of my car, and try to keep my gas tank from leaking.

im 99% sure its the rear halfshafts. just jack up the car, put it in neutral and move the tire back and forth. if its worn out you'll know. un fortunatly my dad has had to deal with this 3 TIMES! because of a stupid restoring company that didnt even replace the stock ones, and replaced 2 with some super crappy ones when he brought them in. :evil:

UPDATE....

Completed the rear disk swap...too cool!!! Me likey. The vibration was coming from the rear drums and now its smooth as frog hair....me happy. I got rid of the rear clunking over bumps by inserting the spacer washer in the illuminas like I was supposed to in the first place. Figured out the E-Brake thing...Im stupid...however I have to take out the E-Brake mount where the anchor plate is where it swivels just behind the e-Brake arm because it fell out of its hole and is misaligned...does that make fricken sense :roll: Tuesday I will take her in for the tranny stuff....more to come.... :wink:

Well I have to say a couple of things...

1. Do you have to upgrade? No the drums will work depending on what your doing with the car. The bad things is that the drum stuff is getting harder to find and keep up etc. Old technology. The Disks are newer technology and more simple to upkeep and last longer with less problems.

2. Do they feel better than the drums? Yes, on mine I could tell a difference in pedal and stopping. I would suggest upgrading the MC and Booster as well if you have a 240Z to put more fluid in the lines and have more vacuum assist for braking. Also, the proportion valve to the rear line is a good thing too to help even out the ratio from front to rear. So far I am very happy I did it. Overall it just makes everything easier and brings it up to date. If you plan on keeping your Z forever like me, then why not upgrade her as you can. The fronts are most important I think however.

CZ