HybridZ

Water injection, at Ebay

Mike kZ

Mike, since you brought this up, I have a quick question. I was told by a friend of mine that water injection leeched out some of the metals in the alloy of the L28 heads, making it a bad idea for us turbo L6 guys. I have heard there was a discussion about this on the IZZC list as well, but can't find it in the archives. Do you or anyone else here have any information on this issue?

Guest bastaad525

isn't that water injection kit from like the 60's?

I too have looked around trying to find any evidence about water injection being harmful but have found none. Anyways it's preferable to use a mix of methanol and ethanol, with a little bit of this other chemical added (I forget the name... if you do a search on ethanol you'll find a topic I started where I think I mention it) that neutralizes the corrosiveness of the methanol. There's also some links in that thread to a thread over on the AEM EMS boards... a guy with a Supra MKIV, running absurdly high amounts of boost with NO intercooler, using methanol injection... I think this guy was getting like 600hp to the wheels at 20-something PSI... again WITHOUT and intercooler. And with that additive he had NO problems with the methanol causing corrosion.

I know I've also read and hear about guys using this type of setup that when they pull the head off the engine the engine internals look brand new, no carbon buildup, and also, no damage caused from the injection.

isn't that water injection kit from like the 60's?

I too have looked around trying to find any evidence about water injection being harmful but have found none. Anyways it's preferable to use a mix of methanol and ethanol' date=' with a little bit of this other chemical added (I forget the name... if you do a search on ethanol you'll find a topic I started where I think I mention it) that neutralizes the corrosiveness of the methanol. There's also some links in that thread to a thread over on the AEM EMS boards... a guy with a Supra MKIV, running absurdly high amounts of boost with NO intercooler, using methanol injection... I think this guy was getting like 600hp to the wheels at 20-something PSI... again WITHOUT and intercooler. And with that additive he had NO problems with the methanol causing corrosion.

I know I've also read and hear about guys using this type of setup that when they pull the head off the engine the engine internals look brand new, no carbon buildup, and also, no damage caused from the injection.[/quote']

Of course he was running an intercooler. Supras come stock with ICs, and he did not remove his.

Guest bastaad525

coulda swore he specified he was running NO intercooler.... I gotta dig up those links again, but I do agree removing his stock one does seem a bit silly unless he was really trying to make a point with his methanol setup.

Guest znow white

525 i was just saying that to myself while reading the no intercooler setup I doubt he would of taken his stock intercooler out and have it running with no intercooler. Plus supras (mk4) are popular for going boom in the h/g I dont believe he would of done it. I know this because its second time happening to my brother. And on supra forums thats all they seem to talk about lol but a HKS metal h/g is the fix..

Guest bastaad525

here are the links to the guys threads, the guy that was trying methanol on his supra.

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=552&highlight=methanol

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1407&highlight=methanol

This one is friggin' awesome: http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1420&highlight=methanol

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1449&highlight=methanol

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1515&highlight=methanol

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1754&highlight=methanol

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=715&highlight=methanol

He specifically mentions several times that he is running NO I/C, and in the first link he mentions that he DID have an aftermarket, front mount intercooler in his car, but that he REMOVED IT and replaced it with just a section of straight pipe to test out his methanol injection system.

I don't make this stuff up folks...

Sorry Bastaad, I thought I knew who you were talking about, but the fellow I read about on Supraforums was running an IC. There seems to be quite a few people doing it.

Personally I think taking off an IC is just plain stupid, but methanol combined with water or other alcohols is fairly effective for controlling detonation, and may be a substitute for race fuel. I like to keep things simple though, and adding another pump and fuel is just asking for something to break down. Two pumps and two fuel injection systems double your odds for failure ;)

I was trolling Supraforums, and all I found was one fellow who was intending to build a methanol system and remove the IC, but I didn't run across anyone who was actually doing it. I know you don't make this stuff up. :bonk:

Guest bastaad525

it does seem silly... I mean I'd definately leave the I/C in place for the added benefit and safety net, and I feel the same as you... that much more stuff that could go wrong, and methanol being the highly volatile chemical that it is... just imagine you're blasting away at full boost and the methanol eats the pump and now you got no more anti-detonant and now you got no more motor :) But this guy seems really confident in his setup... enough to risk his supra to... which is alot considering he goes on to say how he is broke and unemployed!

btw no offense intended with the "I dont make this stuff up" line... I got that line from some TV show I think a stand up comic was using it... had me cracking up.

Guest znow white

bastaad 525 i wasnt saying you were lying lol. I was just thinking it would be stupid taking off intercooler hence more detonation but maybe he has a right mixture.

btw nice post 525 could be interesting question is why isnt everyone using it?

edit: link to dyno runs this stuff looks crazy im going to search more into it

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=3324&highlight=dyno+results+methanol

I had a guy come into work a couple of months ago and after some conversation he told me about a setup he had on his GN running alcohol injection. He said he could run 18 PSI on pump gas and then 25 PSI with the alcohol injection turned on. He was very happy with the performance it added to the car.

I've seen some bad indications about using water with Nissan engines, all from zcar.com posts though. I dug up one:

anyone using water injection? n/m

You want to skip to about the fifth posting.

There were some more but the couple I looked at seemed to be referencing each other. Anyway, the gist seems to be that Nissan puts some copper in their head alloy, and the aluminum and copper corrode or leach away or something differently causing pitting, leading to worse detonation and ruined heads. I'd think you'd have to be using the system a lot for that to happen though...I mean, you get a little moisture in your intake just from driving in the rain, or high humidity.

Heh, I miss the days when I had time to keep up with several boards...

If you talk to anyone who has had water injection and before dissembling their engine that examination reveals very clean combustion areas. The pistons are aluminum clean with out pitting. There is NO rust or carbon traces on the valves head surfaces or ports. You would swear the motor had just been built.

I used water in the summer and methanol/water in the cooler months when the throttle blades would freeze up. The reason for the disassembly was a broken valve spring. The motor was a ‘70 454 square port with 12:1 compression.