HybridZ

Anybody Use the Toyota7M-GTE (1987 - 1992 Supra Turbo)

wrenchtech

The 7M-GTE, 3.0 liter DOHC I-6, on a cost per horsepower basis, has got to be one of the best motors ever made. The inherent balance of the straight 6 combined with Toyota precision engineering has made this the lowest cost and most reliable 500hp motor in history. You can buy a worn out Supra Turbo car for about $1500 to get your motor, ECU, wiring harness, exhaust and accessories; put an $800 rebuild in it and with a few minor tweaks your at 400hp. A turbo upgrade and some fuel system improvements will get you up to 500hp pretty quick. So how about it? Has it been done?

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a JDM 7M-GTE selling for $695.00 the other day!

A quick look at TraderOnline.com the other day revealed several late eighties Turbo Supra cars, in various states of disrepair, with asking prices as low as $800. I'd gladly pay that to get a donor car with the right sensors, ECU, wiring harness, flywheel and a Toyota R154, 5 speed transmission, even if I still had to buy a low mileage JDM motor for another $700 in adition.

My first project is going to be to swap a 7M-GTE into my 89 4runner. I think I'm going to take majik16106's advice and put a 1JZ-GTE (the 7M's successor) into my Z!

Matt

Guest KillerZees

hey my first car was a 87 n/a then i bought a 90 turbo, when the engine blew I got a J-spec engine from japandirect.com the whole engine with turbo, exhast and computer everything for like 1100 bucks. My engine had about 250hp when i dropped it in, 30 more than stock. with the turbo rebuild and 555cc feul injectors a pump off the TT supra, intake and exhaust and you have 400-500hp for a resonable price. Just thought I would mention the jspecs because of there LOW miles and availablity.

I love Z's but I was a supra guy first, I would have bought a TT but "The Fast and Furious" movie ruined it. My dad coulda got a low milage, 6 speed 96 tt in 1999 for 15K. now I cant even get an auto TT for much less than 20K...sux.

7mgte in the states was 86.5-92.5 supra turbo's. the 1jz was never state side. Best 1jz to get in my honest opinion is from a 90-92.5 supra. with the 5 speed. the soarer had it up untill 1998 i believe, there tons of variations of the 1jz in the 90's. vvti- twin and single turbos. came in chasers, mark 4 and 5 tourer, some kind of station wagon, and in one other car that im forgetting aside from the supra and soarer.