HybridZ

GTO Air DamS

TomoHawk

That's Air dams, plural.

GTOs had 2 air dams, one under the front and one just before the rear axle.

It shouldn't be too hard to mount a stiff flap or something under the nose, but how would you mount one under the body? Spring-loaded brackets?

thx.

I have seven books covering the Ferrari GTO and have never seen one with a front air dam. In the rear, Ferrari did play around with, what we would call a "diffuser" today, that was mounted under the gas tank at the rear of the car. Sorry, not one of those books has a picture of it.

Quite a few high end cars are starting to use long undertrays and rear diffusers, including IIRC the new Dodge Viper and Corvette. The designer of the new Ferrari F50 says that the under car devices work so well that a rear wing is not needed.

Back more to the topic, diagonal strakes can be used underneath to push air out the sides of the car. They are usually fixed rigidly to the bottom.

Most modern LeMans cars use not only a flat bottom, but a second splitter rearward of the front wheels that brings about a 1.5in vertical slice of air up and out and the top or sides. something simple just to push it out the sides might create a significant vaccuum. at the least if the strakes were gradual enough it might smooth out the turbulent airflow under the Z.

The Porsche 944 Turbo has a similar rear undertray spoiler thingy. Here's a few links:

http://www.dimmer.net/hosted/944central/photos/14s2.jpg

http://www.dimmer.net/hosted/944central/photos/t5.jpg

According to my ex boss these things actually do something! In fact he was reading a Circle Track magazine one day and I was making fun of him, then he showed me the article on aerodynamics and dragged me out to the shop and showed me how his 944 Turbo S had every aero tweak mentioned in the article straight from the factory (with the exception of twisting the passenger cabin on the body)!!!

Jon

I might be wrong, but Those things on the underside at the rear edge look more like a beauty piece to me. The (slot) is so narrow, that I don't think it would effect passing air much. In fact, I think the muffler would have more of an effect because it hangs down that much.

The good news is that I haven't seen one on a Hondu yet!