HybridZ

p90a vs. p79

Guest pintoz

Guest pintoz

While waiting for my T3/TO4E to come in, I now have to make a decision. I've spent a couple of hours now trying to search for a suggestion as to which head to use. I have a p90a hydraulic head on my 83 zxt or a p79 from my 81 zx n/a. I would prefer to use the p79 because it is a solid lifter head, but is it better to have a 'turbo' head on a turbo motor?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isnt the p79 a round port head?

if so P90a

P90a may have the HLAs, but it still has the preferred swirl combustion chamber. A p90a head in good shape is worth running worth the turbo ap, even if you run one in the meanwhile before you find a solid p90.

My p90a build is coming along slowly, but progressing none the less. Ive rebuilt my hydraulic lifters, replaced the springs inside with new ones, and now im getting started on the head. I would go p90a, because the valve guides are stainless steel and last a lot longer, if not forever. If you are concerned, check out this thread to see what you are getting into with hyrdaulic lifters. http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26904&highlight=hydraulic+lifters

The p90a is truely a great head, and the last inline L series head that Nissan marketed. I have one in perfect condition. People say you cannot run a performance cam on these heads due to the hydraulic lifters, but i am certain that it is possible, after researching and spending time with the head and its components. Good luck.

Guest szlash280z

hey ghost, the P90A has springs inside the lifters? I never took mine apart so I don't know. do they have a lot of tension to them? where did you get new ones?

hey ghost, the P90A has springs inside the lifters? I never took mine apart so I don't know. do they have a lot of tension to them? where did you get new ones?

I just went over to a hardware store and got the next up strength spring. The stock springs are about 1/4 long, so you need to keep it about that length, no shorter.

isnt the p79 a round port head?

if so P90a

P90a may have the HLAs' date=' but it still has the preferred swirl combustion chamber. A p90a head in good shape is worth running worth the turbo ap, even if you run one in the meanwhile before you find a solid p90.[/quote']

Uh, P79 has the same combustion chamber, just liners in the exhaust ports.

I would find a p90, I would not use the hydraulic, don't care what anyone says, the solid head will make more power, and you can run a performance cam in it.

The P79 would probably be alright, although for more power, you need portwork anyway.

Sell both heads and buy a p90, you can still find them.

I would find a p90' date=' I would not use the hydraulic, don't care what anyone says, the solid head will make more power, and you can run a performance cam in it.[/quote']

Now we are going to debate which head makes more power again? In no way are you going to notice which head yeilds more power. Unless you are spinning the engine up to 9,000 rpms, the hydraulic lifters will work just great. Look at all the modern 4 cylinder turbo engines making high horsepower for what they are, ie Mitsubishi turbos engines. They use hydraulic lifters, no problems there. End result, not much, or any of a difference, and never have to adjust a lifter again.

Also, why would one go with a p79 head on a turbo engine over a p90(a) head. The round ports are TINY compared to the p90(a) head square ports. Just keep in mind, the p79 head IS designed for n/a applications.

I am with Lockjaw. I talked with several Z gurus and have to say the majority said to use the P90 with mechanical lifters. A Z friend here in town said he ran very identical Z's, different P90's in each. The one with the mechanical lifters made more power and trapped quicker and faster.

Guest pintoz

Thanks all for the replies. David, thanks for the link. You have convinced me to stay with the p90a. I do like the fact that it is much quieter than my p79.

I am with Lockjaw. I talked with several Z gurus and have to say the majority said to use the P90 with mechanical lifters. A Z friend here in town said he ran very identical Z's, different P90's in each. The one with the mechanical lifters made more power and trapped quicker and faster.

Thats just purity at its best. So many things people say cant be done, and here on hybridz thry have been proven wrong, over and over, time after time.

I would still use the p90a vs. the p79. Always thought it was round port? guess not, oh well. I dont see anything wrong with a p90a for mild applications, its not like you couldnt do the p90 later. I prefer p90 for sure though, something about hot oil valve adjustments make you feel like a man :D

well, bigger passegage will drop the pressure. PLus too much pressure/flow of oil on the head will starve the bottom end.

I guess you can go with Turbo auto oil pump and shimmed about two washers and it might take care that though.

Like I said, with modorate turbo set up, There isn't much point turning the motor more than 6k.

Guest szlash280z

I have the P90A, I like it better than the old type except when I first start it. I am having some kind of oil problem that makes my lifters not pressurize fast enough so they tap very very loud for up to a minute or longer. There are a few things I am going to try to fix it though (better oil filter, fix my oil cooler lines).

I was told to junk my P90A by the local Z shop and get a P90regular too, but I couldn't locate one. I would say go with what you have man. if you have a P90A already, stick with it. It's very quiet. the only think you can hear on my engine is the fan and the injectors. I like mine.