HybridZ

Rear diffusers. What shape? aluminum?

Guest fcz

Besides carbon fiber parts I am willing to try other materials for the Z car. I have been asked about rear diffusers a few times. I understand that the rear could use some downforce. If I could do a run of rear diffusers, what shape should they be in? 1, 2-3 piece? Dimensions? and would aluminum suffice? The more I get CNC cut the better the price.

thanks

joel-FC

That's so funny that people keep showing that rear diffuser design as an example of something that works. It doesn't. Lots of testing with one on the back of Doug Hayashi's NSX showed that all it does is increase drag. If you look at the SOS link you'll see that they flat bottom the entire car and run side sills which gives them 95% of the downforce benfit. Just installing the rear diffuser doesn't do anything.

Go to http://www.mulsannescorner.com and read up.

I can do a run of front splitters in aluminum for nominal prices. Maybe if we get a shape I can do a template and cut them that way. Most universal are 64" wide and 12-18" deep. Opinions? Ideas? Complaints?

Got to agree with John on this one. For a road car it would be for looks only. In saying that, I have made up a buck for a rear diffuser like shape to go on the back of my z but it really only picks up from the fuel tank and follows that angle to the rear. Not very scientific but might stop some lift as aposed to creating down force. I had to trim about 2 in of the rear panel and i have made up a new fiberglass bumber like device. This is for a 2+2 s30. Probably wont fit the 2 seater.

Douglas

I'll dig mine out and take some pics of the finished rear diffuser I built for my 280.

I like that under shot... it gave me even more ideas...

My front belly pan is like the one pictured on the same car.. It was custom cut to the shape of my air dam. ..I don't think you could make a "kit".. so many styles of airdams and such....Mine is also cut for clearance around my wheels so I can still turn the steering wheel all the way with out any rubbing, yet still have the max size of belly pan.

My rear diffuser will work on any 1st gen.. mine simply goes under the gas tank and up as far forward as the diff.

I'll try and get some pics up by the weekend..

Mine is complete..just not installed...

It cost me $24 for the aluminum and $100 to have it cut and bent up... (mine is one piece)..