HybridZ

intercooler piping

Guest szlash280z

Guest szlash280z

all I can seem to find are 16 gauge or thicker pipes and bends. I am going to go steel because my MiG isn't set up for aluminum and I haven't even found any aluminum bends anyway. but 16 Guage seems a little extreme for an intercooler pipe (and heavy!) is this what you do it yourselfers used on your piping? Also, a 60mm throttle body, is that closer to 2.5" or 2.25"? I don't know where to find the conversion. And I am eventually going to go for a t3/t4 hybrid, what size piping is recommended for those and is that piping too big to run with the stock turbo for a while?

I did a search but most of the topics I tried to open had server errors.

No kidding about the weight. I had a local exhaust shop just run a 3" open single for me, one piece. It is very heavy!

I also used exhaust pipe to build my 2.5" intake piping, mainly because I could weld it with my MIG here at home. It's not that much pipe and may weigh 10 lbs all together.

Guest szlash280z

My 3" exhaust is really heavy too. It's quite difficult to install it as a single piece when you are by yourself. the 2.25 that I took off the car was also pretty heavy though. so summit has both 16 and 18 gauge? I have the new catalog and they only listed 16 guage and it's the same at the website. I also checked the jegs website and it's 16 also.

sleeper, why do you have so many different sizes for your intercooler pipes? is it 2" from the turbo to 2.25 for the rest of the pipe then expanded to 3" for the throttle body? is 60mm 3"? where did you get your 18 guage stuff? it's all mandrel bent right?

Guest szlash280z
Make sure that you have the piping coated inside if using steel. Remember all this is after the air filter and if it starts rusting inside and flaking' date=' you are gonna have crap going into the intake, no?

Tim[/quote']

excellent point, I never thought of that. don't they normally aluminize the whole thing inside and out on aluminized pipes? what can I coat it with?

Yeah, but as soon as you weld, or cut, the aluminizing burns off.

You could go all the way and have the pipe high temp coated inside and out, or, maybe just clean it out inside very well with solvent, scuff it, dry it and pour some liquid paint in there, slosh it around and pour it out? Unless the section is very short, aerosol won't work well without the wand attachment.

Maybe someone has some more effective suggestions..?

Tim

sleeper, why do you have so many different sizes for your intercooler pipes? is it 2" from the turbo to 2.25 for the rest of the pipe then expanded to 3" for the throttle body? is 60mm 3"? where did you get your 18 guage stuff? it's all mandrel bent right?

My turbo outlet and my IC are 2". My throttle body is 3-1/8". So I run 2" through the IC, then expand it out - first to 2-1/4", then 2-1/2", then 3", and had a custom piece expanded and welded to the end to match the 3-1/8". I had the whole tube set chemically coated to prevent corrosion, and yes, it's all mandrel bent pieces 18 gauge except for the 3" stuff.