HybridZ

Demons. Definitely.

By gravity bleed, you mean just opening up the bleeders and fluid flows 'unassisted'? If that's the case there is obviously some kind of air breach that could be at the master cylinder or anywhere in the line to the rear brakes. I could be bad brake cylinder(s) too. Have you been underneath and inspected the lines all the way from the master?

None taken... My fronts are working fine...no stuck pistons...new cylinders in the rear. When I bought the vehicle the rears did not work...the cylinders were frozen...r&r'd them...no one was with me so I just gravity bled, adjusted the shoes to the proper spots, (just barley rubbing the drum) and left for home...rears still non-functional. went back the next day with a buddy and tried to bleed..pumping produces no psi to the rear...there are no leaks..lines are fine...original question...Master? propotioning valve? or Demons?

PS this is my fullsize Bronco...a little too cold for the Z!!!! :cry:

New MC no difference...until I took it back off and ran out the adjuster nut on the push rod!!! Now I have much better pedal (probably a little too tight) however the rears are still not working right. I still get no real psi out of them. Bleding them produces no fluid at psi. It simply drains out. I am going to call on a price for a Prop. valve. I heard about smacking these valves around to try and loosen it up if there is a piece of dirt in the seat. Anyone ever had any luck with that? If the dealer wants a big buck for the part a may nab one from the junk yard.

demons..... :twisted:

Please forgive me if this sounds too obvious.

A lot of trucks have proportioning valves that operate from a rod that moves according to the relationship between the rear axle and the frame. Rear axle close to frame=full brake pressure. Rear axle far from frame=minimum pressure. As the truck pitches forward under braking the rear lifts and hence the braking pressure to rear brakes diminishes to impede rear wheel lock up. When the truck is loaded there is less forward pitching so the rear brakes get more pressure for stopping.

All this to say if you have jacked the truck up and set the frame on jackstands and let the axle hang you will be at the minimum pressure setting for the proportioning valve. Put the jackstands on the axle and you have full pressure.

This may not apply to your truck but it came to mind when you said you had minimal pressure to the rear wheel cylinders.

There is something about this thread that is bugging the chit out of me.

What the hell does "gravity bleed" mean?

If you open the bleeders and brake fluid drains out' date=' then you have the wheel cylinders mounted upside down. If this is the case you will never get all the air out.[/quote']

Gravity bleeding is simply opening the bleed valve. As Jon said, fluid runs downhill. I could not have put the cylinder on upside down, the line would not make it to any other spot.

A good way to avoid air getting sucked in is to put a hose on the bleeder and put that into some brake fluid.

This is also a good way to do a one man brake bleeding. You can leave the bleeders open and pump the brakes 5 or 6 times, no air gets sucked in, but the old fluid will come out. Then you just go close the bleeder and make sure the M/C is full and move onto the next wheel.

Jon