HybridZ

Autometer Mounting Help

BillZ260

Have searched around quite a bit, can someone please point me to the thread that lists how to mount the 2-5/8" autometers in the dash? Also the speedo and tach will just be friction fit with the cardboard shipping sleeve around the housings. That oK?

If there insn't a thread on this, i need to know what you all have done to keep your guages inplace, I would also like to turn them towards me a bit 10-20 deg?

Thanks

I bent the stock mounting tabs by hand and used large hose clamps around the body of the gauges and the mounting tabs on the 5" gauges. Seems like a good alternative to stuffing them in with cardboard.

On the 2 5/8", I can tell you what NOT to do. I had a plate welded in with the 2 5/8" holes cut out. This was much harder than it needed to be. IIRC, zhome.com has a tech article about somehow switching the bezels and getting them into the dash. I read it about 6 months after doing my dash. :malebitchslap: DOH!

HTH,

Jon

Just a piece of foam weather stripping available in 10 foot lengths at the parts store, wrapped around (with the glue side down obviously) the gauge just behind the bezel lip, then slide it in, twisting (corkscrew style) into the hole. Worked well for the large and small gauges on mine.

Tim

Looked at the zhome.com site and I will contemplate using their version. Will look some this week. I am not sure I want to cut up all of the stock guages in order to install these autometers. I will also look at doing the friction fit as the speedo and tack are and Timz apears to like. I would like to have the faces tilted. WIll let you know what I come up with and post. I woulc like to have somethign attached to them in cast of a collision, so that they dont fly out and bust me in the tooth.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Bill, If you need a extra set I have the dash gauges you can have to modify. I am not going to use them for anything so they are yours to destroy if you like.. Just let me know

Jeff

I went ahead and cut up my guage housings, the mounting will be great. But word of warning, if you plan on doing this, you may want to use ELECTRIC guages. I am an mechanical guage kinda guy and all of the 2-5/8 guages have these huge recepticals on the back. I am going to need to modify the rubber covered mouning straps on the dash and the guage housing to alow the recepticals to poke through. Not a big deal but would be done already if they were electrical. I need to take some pics when I am finished. I guess the weather strip will suffice for the speedo and tach.

Sounds good, could use one for the boost/vacume guage as well! BUT that friggin temp line on for the water temp guage is like 3/16 and sticks out from the back of the guage like 3+ inches, so I guess short of turning the guage off center i will have to modify at least the one set of mounting tabs.

But thanks for the tip!

Guest bobs302z

I installed autometer guages using a large made washer with the autometer fork holding it in place.THen a piece of metal between guage and then z metal band to hold them in place