HybridZ

My Turbo Fuel Pump Upgrade - Pics & Write Up

slownrusty

Hi Gang I started a thread a few weeks ago, about what Fuel Pump I should go with on my '83 ZXT, here is the link to the orginal thread:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29406

I got some great suggestions and recommendations (thanks to all for their input!) and decided that I was going to go with the Walboro GSL392, I agonized for days trying to find a retailer (on and offline) and several places I called said it was back ordered and that I should call back in a few weeks, not sure if they were BS'ing or really they did not have the pump in stock. I even took Jeff Pridy's suggestion and called HKS about their killer external fuel pump, but they wanted upwards of $400 for it - which was a little too rich for my blood!

While surfing late one night, I then came across Holley's website and they had the following pump that caught my eye:

f12-920a.jpg

With the following specs:

Specs:

Throttle body injection

Multi-point injection

Forced induction

80 GPH flow @ 15 PSI (at 13.5 volts)

480 PPH flow @ 15 PSI (at 13.5 volts)

5 Amp current draw @ 15 PSI

67 GPH flow @ 45 PSI (at 13.5 volts)

402 PPH flow @ 45 PSI (at 13.5 volts)

8 Amp current draw @ 45 PSI

Approx. 800 HP max. - throttle body injection

Approx. 700 HP max. - multi-point naturally aspirated

Approx. 600 HP max. - multi-point forced induction <---NOTE!!!!!

I decided to write off the Walboro and then called Summit and ordered the Holley, and got it in two days, also I have had great experience with Summit and their warranty, should a part go bad. I laughed my arse off when I opened the box and saw that this Holley fuel pump is actually the Walboro GSL392!!!! So eveidently Walboro and Holley must be in bed - so to speak:

Here is a picture of the entire box of goodies, sorry the pics are underexposed as it was getting dark when I snapped them, note the yellow sticker that says "New Forced Induction Design":

43210346.jpg

Here is a close-up of the pump:

43210300.jpg

Here is a pic of the stock ZXT pump next to the Walboro Holley (what ever you want to call it!) :-D :

43209798.jpg

Here is a picture of the stock ZXT bracket that I removed and modified (very easy with a grinder and a Dremel) and redrilled for the C-Clamps supplied with fuel pump kit. I also sand blasted it and primered it and painted it (a la Dan Judish color!), believe it or not I painted the bracket with cheap Walmart spray paint that I mixed! I used to mess around at a friend's body shop, so I have pretty decent experience in this arena, came out pretty good. I should have photographed the stock black bracket before painting it, it was getting a bit rusty and pretty crusty:

43210072.jpg

43210204.jpg

Here is a picture of it all mounted, ready to go back in the car:

43209958.jpg

The wiring was easy and only required snipping off the stock eye ends (or re-using them, does not matter) and crimping on the new ones supplied with the kit and bolting them down. I also had to use a slighty longer line out of the new pump to connect to the OE lines on the car. Luckily I had new gas line in the garage and new hose clamps so I renewed all these at the same time.

All this work can be easily done on a weekend, but is messy with gas dropping out, so be prepared to smell like 93 Octane and have your oil change basin close by to catch the dripping gas.

The new fuel pump is VERY quiet and so far I have put about 50 hard miles on it and I am very impressed, my spark plugs are returning to a more normal color as they were bleached from turning the boost up, so the quest for more power is continuing! At least my fuel system is now fully addressed (except the injectors).

That's it for now folks, hope that helps others out there looking for a fuel pump upgrade.

Regards - Yasin

Thanks for the compliments guys. By the way the Holley part number is 12-920 and this is the same number that you give Summit when ordering.

Nathan - Yes I know what you mean! Weird how it all worked out, I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I opened up the Holley box and this Walboro 255lph was look back at me!

BTW - we have to meet some time Mark Mc. talks so highly of you, and I saw your car run at Bandimere in summer 2002.

Regards - Yasin

Guest bastaad525

slownrusty - How much did the pump cost? Also, did the car drive any better or have more power on the top end after you installed it so far as you can tell? Dynoed my motor and it starts running way lean above like 5000rpm, everyone is pretty sure this is the fuel pump tapering off at its limit, so I think if I had a better pump that can keep the fuel flowing all the way up to 6000 and maintain a good A/F ratio I should be able to get more power out of it, as my torque curve just starts falling off at the same time as the A/F ratio starts leaning out. This is next on my list of upgrades as soon as I can decide what pump to go with!

Vashonz - Yes that is the price I paid.

Bastaad - I did find my car ran better at the higher rpms.....point and case I did a U turn dropped the car from 2nd to 1st and punched it hard and mas did it ever light up the tires - first time ever in my car. My butt dyno does tell me that car is running better at top, and my plugs are returning to a more normal color too.

Alex - What's next? Well I have to still install my SFP manifold and the 3" down pipe from Jeff's group buy. After that, probably address the EFI, I see the Z31 MAF hot wire in my future!

More to come - Yasin

Guest szlash280z

I have the walbro as well. it's actually louder than my stock 78 pump was. I paid $130 for mine. I can't remember where I got it, but I got the link from here. I will look for the receipt at home later.