HybridZ

Just got painted, opinions wanted on headlight covers, pic

Guest smoov280zx

Guest smoov280zx

album_pic.php?pic_id=2894

This is my car, an 83. Just got painted 2002 Porsche Forest Green Metallic :D . Do you think i should get clear headlight covers? Any replies would be great. I'm really happy right now btw.

:-D

Mitch

Guest smoov280zx

thanks, thats the first time i washed it. I waited until I could buy a new wash mitt since i didnt want to scratch the new paint. It was about 40 degrees outside, a little nippy to be washing cars but it was worth it.

Guest smoov280zx

lol, you should have seen it before. It was badly faded gold, with mucho rock chips and a tiny amout of surface rust. Oh yeah, and it's a salvage car, worth $400 because of a ton of hail damage that was fixed when I had it painted. Im looking into getting it insurable again though. Thanks for the compliment.

BTW, one upside to getting it painted that i never thought about. The guy took off the door panels and hatch panels and the surrounding trim, so now they are on super snug. Absolutely no rattles :rockon: , how long that will last with the stiffer suspension remains to be seen, but Im enjoying it while it stays quiet.

Mitch

I love that color and I love those wheels. :-D I've always wondered how a dark metallic green would look on a ZX, now I know. I've never really liked the smoked headlight covers, I think the clear ones are pretty nice though, but I'm still not going to put them on my car. I think if you got some clear ones and somehow figured out a way to have a chrome seal, like on the glass ones, that would look very good. Nice car!

Guest jjohart

As I've said before, if there was a way to get cheap OEM Japanese glass headlamp covers, this car would out Z type a Jag X type!

Forget about smoked covers! :twisted: IMHO, anything that impinges on the functional light output of 7" round lamps is not in keeping with form and function as equal. The only other thing that I'm wondering is, if one adds light covers to a Z with headlight washer jets, isn't there going to be a hell of a mess on the inside of the cover when one washes?

Oh well, have to find a wiper set up for the covers and move the jets to the bumper :x !

Sincerely

John-83 280ZXT 2 + 2, I/C, Profec B, moving money pit.. :roll:

I say leave it the way it is. No headlight covers...dirt gets trapped behind them no matter how well you seal your headlight covers and smoke lenses make it hard to see at night. Your car looks very clean especially with the Panasports. I think the headlight covers would take away from what you have going on....

Guest smoov280zx

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm getting the idea that headlight covers dont seal worth a crap, im just thinking about having to remove them every wash. Im thinking :D , havent decided yet.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Mitch

leave it alone, man! i had clear covers for my 240 and they certainly were a pain to remove when washing the car. the seals did not fit properly and it was too hard to put the lenses on with the seals anyway. in light of this, i didn't use the seals and was always finding nice suprises under the covers (like pine straw, leaves). i took them off when i sent my car to be painted and will not be putting them back on.

your car looks great as is. :D:D

Unless you can really seal the back of the headlight bucket, don't. I have them on mine and dirt gets up in there. Of course I haven't tried sealing the headlight bucke yet.

The ones I have seal pretty well around the edges of the bucket itself, it's just the stuff from behind the headlight that gets kicked up that collects...

I think that smoked headlight covers would look fantastic on that car.

The green a color I normally dont like looks fantastic as does the panasports which I never thought really looked right on a ZX but man that car looks fantastic.

I dont think you could go wrong either way, but some smoke HL covers would look so damn good against the rest of the car.