HybridZ

stroker turbo is coming out....

wigenOut-S30

Well guys after getting this stroker motor that is "suposedly built for turboing" actually turbocharged.. I am haveing tons of trouble with it. I am only running the stock 6psi of boost but pinging. Also I am blowing alot of oil out of my crank case pcv pipe. It smokes out of my PCV and valve covor tube at idle and driving. The past owner said that it was built with 8.2.1 compression. It has the 722 truck pistons. They were mechined down to make the compression. I am thinking that the rings could not hold it.. What do yall think?? I know all of the wireing is in and working great cuase it drives fine and does not break up under boost or anything. I just bought a spare L280T from J taylor and will be installing it this weekend. I will then pull my stroker apart to see whats up. So.. Glad to be boosting but MAD I cannot BOOST!!! :evil::x .

Well at least now I KNOW! :cry: OH WELL.. JEESH.. guess you live and learn. I thought I was going to be boostin with a stroker.. At least I hope to be up and running this weekend with a junkyard turbo motor. I may be selling all of my stroker stuff. crank, block, rebuilt P90a head... Thanks for confirming what I was thinking guys. I will be at reynolds with or without MY Z...

Well I dont have the money for a set of 800 doller forged pistons right now nor the time to do that. I got a junkyard motor for a great price. I do have a spare L28T short block wich I plan on rebuilding. Thinking about chryoing the pistons for that one.. but this will be a ways away from now. Cody thanks for the suggestion but I just dont have the resources right now to do that.

You may want to atleast check a couple of the bearings in the jy motor before you drop it in. It will give you an excuse to replace the oil pan gasket to avoid any annoying leaks too. It'll only cost you a gasket and maybe an extra hour or so...

Is the motor an 87mm overbore (3liter)? We had a group buy for flat top 87mm forged slugs a while back from Ross racing pistons. I'm sure you can get them for under $440 a set including rings. If you want to go that way I can give you the build number for the ones we are using. Oh yeah, they have been holding up to my horrible tuning ability just fine :lol:

Joe

If its an 87mm bore there are other options. VG30E turbo pistons, if you wanna stick with an 87mm bore. but then the pistons would be -1.5mm in the hole. or, hog it out ot 89 and use KA24 pistons. people can get about 350rwhp on the 4 cyl KA's before they pop. so, you should be able to pull about 500rwhp. but, that is a big overbore. its up to you man, just trying to help!

That's not entirely correct. There were actually 2 different 720 truck engines and piston combinations. Below is a quick chart of the pistons that had 21mm piston pin diameters.

Engine...pin height(mm)..piston diameter(mm)..application notes:

L28..............38.1.......................86...................280Z

LZ22S..........35.0.......................87...................720 truck 6/79 to 10/82

LZ22E..........32.5.......................87...................200SX 7/81 to 10/83

LZ24............34.0.......................89...................720 truck 11/82 to 10/85

KA24E..........34.0.......................89...................240SX

Article for info

I'm in the process of using the LZ22S pistons from the early 720 truck in a turbo stroker. I'm still researching the "Forged" pistons from the group buy in the past that was refererred to above.

Here is a good philosophy. Do it right the first time, so you don't have to redo it. If you cannot afford to do it right, wait.

Look I am not bragging, I spent the 500 or so bucks to get forged pistons, had the rods prepped for floating pins, polished them, shotpeened them, and ran ARP bolts. You can easily spend 400 to 500 prepping the stock rods.

But guess what, I told every machinist that did my motor work, every person I talked to that I planned to flog the everloving crap out of my engine, and well, so far after 6 years the bottom end is still together. It has survived 3 different turbo's, multiple 1/4 mile passes at boost pressures of 20+ psi, and best I can tell, its still in good condition. It has seen less then 15 psi only long enough to get the boost jacked up there.

I guess we will see when I take the head off to replace the stock head gasket that finally let go.

If you are going to use a stock piston, you really need to use a turbo style one.