HybridZ

What gauges should I buy

Xander

This weekend my car radio was stolen from my 260Z. I will replace it with three gauges. I already have the standard oil pressure, voltmeter,engine temp and fuel level. These work fine so I wont replace them. And I am planning a turbo conversion so I think a boost guage will be one of the three. But what about the other too. I was thinking maybe oil temp and fuel pressure. Or should I buy a EGT gauge? What would you do?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Geez, first the window, then someone comes along and helps themself to your stereo? :eek2:

I think that boost, oil temp, and fuel pressure are good. Amps might be a good alternate to oil temp, as oil temp isnt as likely to be a problem as other things in the car. I always like having an ammeter (I think that's the real name) so I can tell if my alternator is going out long before it goes out. I hate getting stranded!

And geez, if your car were to get stranded, it would probably get stripped while you were going to call someone for help! :shock:

I've always wondered if you could insert a temp gauge through a bung into one of the intake runners of a turbo to measure intake temp. That might be kind of beneficial so you could know if you can pump up the boost.

I trust my voltmeter so I don't really think I need an ampère meter (that's the guys name :wink: ). I can tell from the voltmeter if my battery is charging. And I got a new alternator. maybe I'll do Boost, fuel pressure and O2.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

That's not entirely accurate...

In order to charge, you need enough volts, and enough amps. If either is low, it doesnt matter how good the other is. I had an alternator in my truck that the voltmeter showed proper voltage, but something happened and it was only putting out about 10-15 amps at best. (granted that that is not a common type of failure)

I have never heard of an O2 gauge, what would be it's purpose? To watch for lean/richness?

Guest smoov280zx

Ive seen some of the 02 gauges in action, looks like the light on the front of knight rider. The changes so fast that I think it would just be a flashing light on your dash. Unless you can find a wideband one maybe.

I vote fuel pressure, boost and a "Danger to Manifold" light to warn you when your diamond plated floorpan is about to fly off. :D

errr, nm. I vote Exhaust Gas Temperature unless you can find a wideband 02 gauge, many $ probably.

Mitch

If I buy an rich/lean indicator now I could always use it later when I've got the money to buy a wideband controller. the gauge is nothing more than a voltmeter with a range of 0 to 1 volt. Most wideband output a voltage of 0 to 5 volts. It should not be to dificult to lower voltage so that I can use the oxygen gauge. I wonder how accurate it would still be :roll:

I like the gauge by DEFI. they have a analog O2 gauge. really sexy.

I have a "danger to manifold" warning light hidden in my air-con vents. it really is helpfull when im pushing my car to the Xtremes while running NAWS.

but on another note. I would run EGT before 02 gauge, unless its wideband there really is very little point. the gauges that have the leds are constantly flashing and dancing around. you could always just put it on a seperate switch and turn it on when you need it.

Fuel pressure would be nice, Nordskog has some gauges with built in programmable warning lights, if your pressure goes above or below a set point it lets you know.

what I will be running on my car (if i ever get it back) is EGT, Boost, Fuel pressure, Oil pressure, water Temp, and AMPS. as Nic said, you can have plenty of volts, but your alt wont be pushing enough amps to charge it, you will notice your volts taking a sudden dip, and by then its too late. but an AMP gauge will show that its not charging, or having trouble charging.

That's funny baddriver! :lol: I always wondered how you turbo guys can monitor 17 gauges at the same time. I would prefer idiot lights for most things, with gauges for the simple stuff: coolant temp, oil pressure, volt or amps, gas. My ex-bosses 911 race car had a what seemed to be 2000 watt bulb hooked in for low oil pressure. Made those shift lights that come with autometer tachs seem dull. Seems like that is the way to go, so that you can concentrate on what is in front of you...

Jon