HybridZ

windage screens/trays

You chevy guys get all the cool stuff. :(

Grumpy I try to read all your posts, as they will usally apply to any engine, you are a wealth of info. :D

I would like to ask on thing. Looking at the screen, how would you attach the screen to the frame. I wouldn't want the screen to come off when the engine is running. :mad:

Grumpy thanks for all the info and this is comming from a guy who's putting a ford in his Z. bonk.gif

Don

windage trays/screens are normally attached with main studs that replace the main cap bolts like these,the dual dia. type like the ones to replace the maincap bolts on the right use the smaller extended section with one nut below and one above to clamp onto and to precisely position the windage tray

ms_pic.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1413&prmenbr=361

Grumpy, several years ago, HR Mag showed how to make a crank scraper out of a sheet of aluminum. What are your thought on these, and how do they compare to a windage screen? Would there be an advantage to using both?

after much testing Ive found that a good windage screen works well enough bye itself, that a crank scraper adds little extra. but if you choose to add one it will help slightly, personally I use one but just because I already own several, the properly mounted windage screen does about 95% of the work

Notice that Moroso pan in Grumpy's post has a bilt in crank scraper as well. Not as effective as one that is fitted to the crank, it still catches flinging oil and directs it back into the pan. That complete pan with scraper and screen is a good deal when you figure what just a set of studs to mount a windage tray costs, and you should have a block align honed when changing from bolts to studs as the higher clamping force can distort the cap out of spec. GM does have bolts that have the standoffs built into them, but are like $8 each. For stealth, get a 69 Z/28 pan and the GM windage tray and studs.

One reason I didn't go with a scraper is that I've seen them cause oil pan gasket leaks. Glad I didn't do it.

I used the Moroso one shown on my 327. I used the ARP studs, but note that when you order a stud kit for a SBC, it usually comes with only 5 of the 6 studs with the threaded extension to mount to that Moroso screen. I had to order another stud and nut set for that 6th location separately.

Another thing about stud kits. If found that I had to drill out the holes in the rear main cap for the studs. They were big enough to pass the stud, but the thicker shank of the stud forced the

cap forward a tiny bit, mis-aligning the thrust surface of the rear main halves. A local machine shop told me this is standard practice for installing those studs.