HybridZ

"close ratio" 5 speed

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

I've been shopping for a Z car, and found a 240z with a Close Ratio 5 speed. I haven't been able to drive it, and the dealer was fuzzy on the specs. The car is supposedly set up for autocross.

Anyway, I was doing a search on the Internet and found that Nismo racing 5-speeds were offered with close ratio gearing. But I was surprised that 5th gear was the same as stock. Instead, first is higher than normal -- more like second gear in a normal trans. Then, 1/2/3 are more closely spaced. This is the opposite of what I've seen in close ratio trannys before (mostly VWs). They tended to keep first stock and have a lower range 3/4.

Are there other kinds of close ratio Z car trannys with a lower 5th gear -- I don't want one. Just curious.

Actually the higher first gear might be cool in a car with a lot of extra power. Less tire spin and less chance of breaking your rear end, while also giving you the benefits of a closer ratio tranny with a high top speed.

Any experience with the NISMO close ratio 5 speeds?

James

Guest jdllaugh

Sorry, it's not in Tulsa. That's why I haven't had a chance to drive it. It's far, far away.

The only cars I've found around Tulsa so far are rust buckets. Saw an ad the other day for a 4-speed 280z. Ad said "body in great condition" $2500. Go out to his house all excited, open the hood, and I can see daylight under the battery. The passenger side rear fender had been patched with what looked like 3 pounds of bondo spread on by a two-year-old and covered with rattle-can paint. :evil:

I'm actively looking for a V8Z or a healthy stocker. Looks like I might have to move to California to find something decent. :roll:

James