HybridZ

Best Stand-Alone Set Up?

Dnaught14

I know im prolly kicking a dead horse by asking this, and yes I did preform a search, but im to lazy to go through all the Engine Management findings. Sooooo, MY QUESTION IS...What, in your oppinion, is the best stand-alone set up for a turbo swap, in relation to cost and preformance? If you guys could point me in the right direction i can start planning on how to bite the bullet for costs and time to do this.

Guest 81na ZX

Best, I'd say is a MoTec, but they are very pricey (3k+)

My personal next choice is a Haltech E6X, around $1500

Best price vs. performance is the SDS.

Side note: I lived most of my life in Ann Arbor. Up until 6 months ago ;)

Best do it yourself EMS is MegaSquirtnSpark. Same level of functionality as SDS and only costs about $300. Have to have a laptop to program it, but I spent $40 on my 486 laptop for it.

I'm with Moby! :P

Had a guy who used to work for GM development (1st gen. pickups with EFI) look at it and he said he liked what he saw.

Have any of you guys messed with a Motec? I tried to help adjust one about 5 years ago, and hopefully they've gotten more user friendly, but back then they SUCKED! We had a guy who was a race mechanic, then went into IT, and HE couldn't get it right.

I was watching what they were doing, but I could barely understand what parameters they were messing with at the time. I ended up being no help at all. :oops:

I like the idea of SDS for those of us who are technically inept, Motec is fine if you're an EE or IT major with a minor in racing :wink:

EDIT--Now I think I remember it being something other than Motec. It was used in F1, maybe a Zytech??? It's definitely not a home equity loan though... :?

Jon

Motec-hands down. Cant afford it though and probably still too hard for me to configure I think.

Haltec e6x-easy to wire up and can use the turbo distributor and use msd as ignitor, makes a turbo z car miraculously run like a bat outta you know.

Microtech-full sequential capabilities and not much harder than Haltec, just not as familiar with it.

If money is no object, Motec all the way. I'm not sure if they've changed much in the last 5 years, but the one I played with didn't really seem terribly more difficult than the electromotive, PE or SDS at least in theory. There was just a lot more parameters. :D

Bang for the buck, probably Megasquirt if you want to assemble it all, if not I am still quite partial to my SDS and like it a lot.

We use Motec on our FSAE car. The thing is amazing, the level of functionality you get when you connect it to an ADL... We use Traction Control, Ignition Kill Upshifting, Traction Circles. We are working on getting shock potentiomiters and some other cool stuff. If it is good enough for Claude Rouelle it is good enough for me. To bad you have to sell your firstborn to pay for it.

Matt

• 1 month later...
Guest 744gleti

no one's mentioned Tec :)

I've looked into a lot of different ems's, for those not of the megasquirt caliber, or perhaps wanting something with corperate support, e6k systems aren't terribly expensive (anywhere betwen 500 and 1200).

Sds as i've seen it (well with all the nice things like distributorless, etc) ends up around 1500 and if you change injectors you have to mail it back to them. and no data logging.

I looked long and hard at wolf (and still do :) )its a nice system, its kinda a happy medium between some of the lower end systems and a full blown motec setup and its got some really nice features.

Tec3's are fairly expensive and fairly nice i'm told.

And then theres megasquirt (which I have an ad for in the classifieds [/shameless self plug]). It works above and beyond what I expected and you can't beat the price, and with forthcoming updates its going to be a serious contender with some of the big boys.

whats my favorite? well, that'd kinda hafta default to MS since thats what i've got hahaha, but in all seriousness its a very capable system thats very frequently overlooked because of its DIY/simplistic look. and for the price, ya can't beat it.

Sds as i've seen it (well with all the nice things like distributorless, etc) ends up around 1500 and if you change injectors you have to mail it back to them. and no data logging.

True, no data logging, but you do not have to send the ECU back to change injectors...just wanted to rebute a misnomer before it gets spread around.

I like my SDS, and like the fact that no laptop is required, but datalogging would be a nice caveat top have...

I did a fair amount of research and went with the Electromotive Tec3. Many of the BIG HP L28 cars here at HybridZ use an Electromotive Tec2. The Tec3 is easier to use and fit's into a Z without much headache. It's more expensive than the Haltec, SD, Wolf3D, Megasquirt or ???, but so far I am very happy. The Motec is hands down the best standalone that money can buy, but it's not necessarily user friendly and it's much more expensive.

I did a fair amount of research and went with the Electromotive Tec3. Many of the BIG HP L28 cars here at HybridZ use an Electromotive Tec2. The Tec3 is easier to use and fit's into a Z without much headache. It's more expensive than the Haltec, SDS, Wolf3D, Megasquirt or ???, but so far I am very happy. The Motec is hands down the best standalone that money can buy, but it's not necessarily user friendly and it's much more expensive.