HybridZ

Tire sizes

Im doing a V8 240 conversion. I have a 400+ hp Chevy and i know im gonna have traction issues. I have a LSD R-200 that i will be using...its 3.9:1. Im thinking of 17' rims, but i know that there are many other people here who know best, so im wondering How wide of a tire can i go and how wide a tire do i really need to go? Thanks!

:D

You need to post more information, first of all what is your goal, if you have 400hp in your Z I assume you are more street/drag oriented then autocross/road racing. Must the tires fit in the stock wells?

Fitting 17 inch wheels in a z requires some hefty suspension work, figure out what will fit, then decide on a rim, then figure out how long your tire must last you, then simply buy the most aggresive tire that will meet your specs if grip is your only concern.

I wouldn't do 17" rims. The stock is 14 every size you go up to ride gets worse. Its aready a 30 yr old design.

What I have done is copied tons of other peoples comments and pics detailing what they say and how the cars look with the different sizes.

So make a tires folder and copy things into a word doc and start saving.

I have a ton., so when it comes time to buy tires and rims I can deside on size, rimes etc,,, wheel spacers? change lug pattern to honda, lots of things to consider.

So at this eary stage Im thinking 15" and wheel spacers so I dont have to use datsun rims, very few to pick from....

Hey - 195/70-14 = 205/60-15 = 215/50-16 = 225/40-17 when it comes to tire diameter. Just depends on how low of a profile you want. Without modifying your suspension or body, if you want to be able to rotate your tires, then 225 width is about as wide as you can go. If you install coil-overs then maybe you can get to 245's. If you add flares then you can really get up there. Just depends on how far (think $$$) you want to go.

well Phantom thats not always true.. my 275-40-ZR17 is just a Tad.. im talkin TAD bit higher then my 195-70-HR14's that came on my car.

check on tirerack.com for sizeing on different wheels and etc.

mike

Mike,

I took another look at Tire Rack. Your 275/40-17's are about 1.5" taller than a stock 195-70-14. There is minor variation from manufacturer to manufacturer but it is not more than .1" on diameter on the same size.

If you vary the rims and go from a narrow to a very wide that can affect it but if you use the specified rims the numbers come out.

Tim,

Stock springs? no flares or rolled fender lip? front and rear? If so - what backspacing/offset are you running? I want to go there!!

Tim' date='

Stock springs? no flares or rolled fender lip? front and rear? If so - what backspacing/offset are you running? I want to go there!![/quote']

I have 16x8 rims. 5 inch back space. I have 8inch coilovers, with about 1/4 inch of gap between the tire and spring. No rolled or flared fenders. I would guess that these would fit on a stock sprung car.

Tim

Thanks for the dimensions Danno. That 5/8" eats up the 1/4" clearance that Tim has and then goes into the tire. The good news is that I can get to 245's if I go to coil-overs without having to do body modifications - I just have to buy new wheels - OUCH!

But then again - if I flare the rear I can probably get to 275's. Decisions, decisions. This one will take a few years. I need to put the car on the track with some good 225 width tires first and see what happens.

Thanks for the dimensions Danno. That 5/8" eats up the 1/4" clearance that Tim has and then goes into the tire. The good news is that I can get to 245's if I go to coil-overs without having to do body modifications - I just have to buy new wheels - OUCH!

But then again - if I flare the rear I can probably get to 275's. Decisions' date=' decisions. This one will take a few years. I need to put the car on the track with some good 225 width tires first and see what happens.[/quote']

Phantom, I just got my Kuhmo ecsta 712 in, I'll let you know how they do when I get them on. I got 225/45/17's.

Phyte

Terry,

Thanks for the offer. I'm actually running 16x7 Center Lines now with 225/50-16 yokohama S306's. It's just that they have a '0' offset and I'm going to have to go to a +10 mm offset if I go to larger tires. That's why I'm going to try a very sticky set of 225/50-16's first. The S306's are OK V rated tires with a high mileage rating but they don't stick for do-do.

Probably Kumho Ecsta V700's.