HybridZ

roll cages

Guest zfan

I called S&W about roll cages, they have 10 point cages for 340 dollars. Then of course you have to pay someone to weld it in as I am no welder.

One of my friends had me call a dirt track shop well known in the Dallas Tx. area named Smiley's. They will build and install a 10 point cage for 500-600 bucks. My question is: is that a reasonable price for the cage and installation?

Do I really need a 10 point cage? My 1971 Datsun 240z has a 383 sbc and runs mid 11's in the 1/4 mile. I want something safe and that will keep me from being tossed off the track.

Mike

Mike,

What do the NHRA rules say? They've got them onthe Ennis web site. I know that at 12.9 on street tires I'm not even required to have a roll bar. How quick doyou have to go to get to an 8 or 10 point cage requirement? There are also many other requirements in the way of clothing, etc., safety cut-offs, when you start going that fast.

Dang - the faster you go the more it costs because all the safety stuff makes the car heavier and then you have to add more HP to keep it competitive!

Also, contact Larry at http://www.LNJStreetRods.com or (817) 207-0707. If you can get the cage he can give you a quote to weld it in. He does everything you can imagine and quite reasonable. He is in Fort Worth, though.

I'm looking at a roll cage but nothing thats NHRA legal, I don't much care for drag. I'm just looking for something that will keep the body stiff on the streets and aggressive street driving. Any suggestions.

Probally going to have it powder coated or painted.

Sorry for grabbing this thread, but Phantom, I've been wanting to find out.. the MSA SCCA bar for the 280, how far back is the main loop? I'm pretty tall so I tend to lean my seat back and I would hate to have it anywhere near to where I might be able to bang my head into it! Thanks!!!

DANGER!

Newbie question:

Does MSA have a website or is there somewhere that list all of their products for the Z's. I've got a 280Z and so far looking at a bunch of their equipment.

Mike, I think $600 is an absolute steal of a price on a 10 point cage welded into your car... almost sounds TO cheap...

The beauty of a custom cage it that they can fit it to the driver's size...

For others reading this thread, make sure you know what class, and type of cage you need... SCCA cages are NOT NHRA legal, and vice-versa... This is VERY important when considering any mods for performance.

Mike 8)

Demidion,

I am 6'-4" & 225 lbs. There is a little latitude in mounting the roll bar. Mine is mounted so that it is just a fraction of an inch from the interior panel that runs across the leading edge of the hatch. I am able to put my seat all the way back but, at that point, it is hard against the seat restraining strap that is part of the roll bar. I don't expect to have any more hassle than I already have when wearing a helmet since I have to tip my head to one side anyway. I have to move my head back about 3" to actually touch the roll bar with it when I'm in my normal driving position.

for mounting harnesses. I've seen the "harness mounting bars that are bolted along the back of the 2 seats. Can you mount the harnesses to the roll cage and that be that?

I'm looking at a roll cage but nothing thats NHRA legal' date=' I don't much care for drag. I'm just looking for something that will keep the body stiff on the streets and aggressive street driving. Any suggestions.

Probally going to have it powder coated or painted.[/quote']

I'm sure everybody was dreading my chiming in, but I just couldn't help myself... :D

If you are just driving on the street, then not only do you not need a 10-point cage, you should not use a 10-point cage.

I've said it a zillion times now and nobody seems to believe me, but these cages are meant for helmetted drivers wearing proper harnesses, which I guarantee you will not be doing on the street every time you drive the car.

Get something that you are less likely to hit your head on in an accident. You'll spend less money, it'll be easier to get in and out of the car, and you'll be less likely to suffer blunt trauma to the head from any minor accident.