HybridZ

Z31 Swap people, Yo2001, Sleeper anyone else

Guest ZmeFly

I just got a good luck draw on some of the Z31 parts that I need to complete this swap.

I picked up from a freind of the family, a MAF and distributor, well just for the wheel for 15 bucks!! Cant complain about that. As I have done some reasearch and thanks to Yo2001, read some of what he did and looked at his schematics for info.

Im at a crossroads so to speak on knowing exactly what I need, as I said I have the chopper wheel, I have the MAF, but what computer?? and from what year etc.?

Also something that confuses me slightly is that some suggest the Z31 wiring harness and others say modify the S130 harness, Ive been told it is best to go with the Z31, any comments?

Thanks for any help you all can give and or pointers on what to do to make this swap happen.

Thanks James

Modifying the s130 harness is easier than removing it and installing the z31 wiring IMO. You only have to move a few wires. If you're planning on programming the ecu some 87's and 88-89's are easier to program than the earlier ecu's.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the stock single wire o2 will work on the 88-89 ecu BUT you'll have to reprogram it to work with turbo injectors and boost.

Hello gentlemen

Well I finally went for the Z31 set up and have it running :D

It's quite nice, certainly idles better and feels like the power band is slightly broader. Feels a little faster, but not by much (not that it should, maybe 10-15 hp). The throttle response is also improved and it revs nicer.

I used a 84 turbo ECU and modified the stock 280zxt wiring.

I also have the computer controlling the fuel pump, AMS cleaning cycle and all emission devices (except the inactive EGR system).

James, I have a work deadline this week. I will try to do a full clear "how to" write up in the next week or so.

Hello gentlemen

Well I finally went for the Z31 set up and have it running :D

It's quite nice' date=' certainly idles better and feels like the power band is slightly broader. Feels a little faster, but not by much (not that it should, maybe 10-15 hp). The throttle response is also improved and it revs nicer.

I used a 84 turbo ECU and modified the stock 280zxt wiring.

I also have the computer controlling the fuel pump, AMS cleaning cycle and all emission devices (except the inactive EGR system).

James, I have a work deadline this week. I will try to do a full clear "how to" write up in the next week or so.[/quote']

Good deal! :2thumbs:

Till I have everything I need, I really appreciate you doing a write up as Im sure anyone else here that would want to do this swap is.

I cant wait to read it. :2thumbs: