HybridZ

where can i find a vacuum pump for brakes?

yes a vacuum assist for braking with a rad cam, not bleeding the brakes.

dont really know what im talking about, but i know i could really benefit from a kit.

here are my impressions, please correct me if im wrong:

i need a vacuum pump and a collector to hold the vacuum and some kind of assembly to interface with the booster.

Tim240z, i think thats what im looking for. are you running that in your 240z? what all do i need and what am i looking at for cost?

thanks guys.

No, not running it myself. All you may need is just a reservoir can. Unless your cam is ungodly radical (ie not streetable!), a pump likely is not necessary.

This is probably what you need:

sum-g1460.jpg

Go to http://www.summitracing.com/ , and use either vacuum reservoir, or vacuum pump as your search words.

Tim

I've seen them on Z's owned by people who have said that they were necessary. I don't run one on my Z and my booster works the same as when I had a smaller cam and SU's, so I don't need one. I've got a .490/280 cam in my Z. I have the small booster, so that may make a difference.

To me this is one of those things people buy because they are told they need it, and lots of times they don't. Kinda like oil coolers.

There may be a need for one in my Z at some stage, but I'm not there yet...

Jon

That may very well be the case, Jon.

I was introduced to the idea by my mechanic after I installed the MML 13" brakes. The brakes don't have much hydraulic power to them, but if you shove your foot on them, the car stops pretty damn good. I asked if the cause was my booster, and he suggested a vacuum pump since I am only drawing vacuum from one cyl.

Personally, I think Tim is right in that a reservoir will do just fine, a pump would be a bit much.

You mention that you have a smaller booster. Care to elaborate a bit on that?

Anyone else have thoughts or advice?

Thanks...

The early 70 and 71 boosters were a smaller size booster. I think in 72 they went to a larger diameter booster and I think the 2+2's had an even larger booster IIRC. I'm not sure if there is a clearance issue with a bigger booster in an earlier car, but I seem to remember my ex-roommate swapping with no problems.

If you have a balance tube on your manifold then you'll be drawing vacuum from all cylinders. Sure a vacuum port in each runner would probably be more equal, but a balance tube does a reasonable job of pulling from all 6.

I assume that you have a ZX master to go with your brake upgrade. That would increase your pedal effort quite a bit. The leverage ratio built into the pedal is for the smaller stock master. I have to hit my brake pedal hard, and yeah, it does get tiring after a 30 min track session.

I would suggest that you get a bigger vacuum booster if you have the small one like I do, and see how that affects pedal effort. If you run into problems getting enough vacuum to the larger booster, then run the reservoir or the pump or both.

I would think not enough vacuum would show up as a soft pedal that gets harder and harder the more times you step on it, with the engine running of course. You can try that with the engine off to see what I mean though. You'll probably get 3 or 4 pumps then it will be hard as a rock, and that's what it will feel like if the master isn't helping when the car is running.

Jon

Guest Robinson Racing

GM Makes a small elec. pump. With the pump, you dont need a seperate reservoir. Wire it to your brake light circuit and it comes on when you apply the brake. We have used it in several street rods with small boosters.

Ronny Redd @ Bill Heard Chev in Buford Ga. can give you the part #